Could someone compare/contrast mosses (java, christmas, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have two tanks (maybe a third soon) I'm looking to have portions with something mossy looking growing (I know, kinda vague and grammatically bizarre sentence, sorry!) I did a little poking around on aquabid and came across listings for not only java moss, but also Christmas moss and one more (I think it was peacock moss?)

Reading the listings, of course in each one it touts itself as the "best" moss to have, for all sorts of various reasons that I am sure are exaggerations, half-truths, etc. Obviously, someone listing one of those has a certain incentive to make their moss sound like the best, so I am a little wary.

Anyways, I'd rather trust you all at AA. :D So, are there any significant differences among them? More colorful, faster growing, more tolerant of water conditions, etc, etc, etc? Or are they all essentially the same?

TIA...

i am the man for this question!!!!! i have both and love them both for different reasons. the christmass moss is alot bushier and has a different growth pattern. it tends to grow out rather than across. by that i mean it will grow ontop of itself rather than creeping across. but it grows sooo much thicker that it looks nicer and is easier to prune. the christmas moss also is a lighter green colour than the java which is dark. i like the colour of the christmass over the jave. but.... java moss grows faster and will cover more area faster. i prefer the java on wood casue it only grows so long then stops. giving almost a pom pom effect on most surfaces. the tighter u tie it the nicer it looks as it grows. if u tie it loosely it will look scragly. there are lots of other little things but i cant really think of them right now. what is your specific need for the moss? just for visual looks? breeding shrimp? fry cover? here are some pics that really show the difference of the 2.
christmas moss on the left and u can see the java on the right.
img_696512_0_0165dc41d43a73bb1e4cd84db71e1051.jpg

java moss is covering the whole length of wood across the tank aswell as the large clump in the back. the christmas is on the clay pot.
img_696512_1_980c4b2a3d536b46a58466e8cfd8a04b.jpg

here is another of the christmas. i prefer the look of christmas but i like java casue it is easier.
img_696512_2_0c29c52d37cf38f4e51b9394fb65b4b5.jpg

mr funktastic said:
what is your specific need for the moss? just for visual looks? breeding shrimp? fry cover?

Thanks for the info, and the pics! As for my needs...yes, yes, and yes. (haha!) For right now, mostly visual; I have a 29g freshwater and 10g soon-to-be light brackish tank, and I'd love to have something visually mossy-looking in both.

I also have a couple 2.5g tanks I use as fry grow-out tanks, I think some moss would be nice in those...currently I use hornwort as the main plant, and I suppose it works well enough but I get the sense moss would be better.

And I am very seriously considering setting up a small tank (anywhere from 2.5g to 6g, haven't decided yet) as an exclusive shrimp tank, probably for Red Cherry shrimp though I might change my mind on that.

If you have any comments on any of that specifically, do share! :)

One thing to keep in mind is that Java Moss is listed as Brackish Adaptible on PlantGeek but Christmas Moss is not. If you're only going to get one moss for all the tanks, you might want to go with Java Moss for that reason.

I believe that this is one of the newer mosses that's been introduced to the hobby, which is why it is both expensive and only being sold by international sellers.

On a sort-of related note, is aquabid generally seen as the best way to obtain this kind of stuff? In being involved with the aquarium hobby for 2+ years now, none of the aquarium stores I regularly go to ever carry it, not even java moss. And I don't happen to know anyone who has some to give away.

So it seems my options are aquabid (or, ebay), or else ordering it through one of the online stores...which seem to charge really high prices PLUS even higher shipping. (Saw one place selling a teaspoon of java moss for $8.99...ugh.)

Anyways, if anyone has advice about the best place to shop for it, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Check out our very own Barter/Trade forum. Great place to get good deals and swap plants.

Agreed. A lot of the more common stuff, or stuff that is easily propogated can be obatined through the barter/trade forum here. Some of the trickier stuff that doesn't send out a lot of other plants can be a little more difficult. I usually just turn to aquabid since most plants are $4-5 with $5 shipping if you can find a seller in the US. A lot of them will combine orders too, so you can get 2, 3, 4, etc. plants with only the $5 shipping. I got my crypt parva from Lowcoaster on aquabid, and was very impressed with the quality.

i have enough that i could send u to get ya started but shipping will be to much. thats the downside of being in canada. there are alot of members that have the stuff that i am sure could spare a little. go onto the barter and trade and post a wanted add. its always worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom