Could tap water quality be the reason??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

As I just posted in another forum, I'm back after a few years away from the AA.com but not from my fish! During the last few years I moved to another house, I've been travelling a lot for work and I have a granddaugther! The cutest little thing! :B-fly:

But I don't have as much time for my hobby as before. Ever since we moved, almost two years ago, I cannot get my plants back on track. My Swords have almost dissapeard along with the java fern, the anubias are practically in their way out, the crypt is really thin, and so on. The only thing that grows nicelly is the red lotus.

The only difference with the other house is the tap water. It is very hard >300, alk is ~80, pH 7.2.

I had some issues with black algae so I'm using Pura Phoslock. I also use Leaf Zone and Fluorish Excel with water changes.

All the stuff you see floating are the plants I bought last week and replanted again yesterday. I think the loaches are uprooting them.

The little ones in the gravel have been that size for a year!

The drift wood used to be covered with Java fern, which slowly turned black and now is gone. The new leaves of the anubias get full of holes and then I clip them off.

Thank you in advance for your advice! :D

Attachments

• Various 2010 108.jpg
    Various 2010 108.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Various 2010 097.jpg
    Various 2010 097.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Various 2010 105.jpg
    Various 2010 105.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Various 2010 111.jpg
    Various 2010 111.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 60
Oops! I thought it was in my profile, but I see that it's not there!

75 g planted
Filters: Eheim 2213 and Fluval 404
Light: 40 W (original with tank) - 110 W added
Two heaters, thermometer, bubbles....

No CO2 -
Ferts "I also use Leaf Zone and Fluorish Excel with water changes."

Fish: 2 SAE, 2 denisoni barbs, 1 koy Angel, 10 harlequin rasboras, 8 rummy nose tetras, 3 clown loaches, 2 yo yo loaches, 1 golden nugget, 1 albino rubernose, 3 diamond tetras, 1 phantom tetra

I'd probably look first at new bulbs if you haven't yet. It sounds as if the spectrum has deteriorated. Welcome back btw!

Something I've heard is that with hard water, its tougher to dissolve ferts. I don't know if this is true or not though. I'm hoping not, because my stuff is pretty hard too.

It could be a number of things...are you de-chlorinating your make up water? Have you done a TDS reading of your water? If that is particularly high, that could be causing trouble. It could be a bulb change, as well, like HN1 said...I would start with the water as the source of problem...do you have a C02 reactor, or way to get C02 in to the tank? That might help as well.

I thought of chaging the bulbs. I have not done that for a while. Thanks HN1.
I don't know what is TDS (total disolved solids????)
I don't have a C)2 reactor. I always thought that with only 2W/galon I didn't need one. Is this wrong?
Thanks!

No prob. I think it'll help.
Yep. Unless your water is REALLY suspect, I'd think the TDS is fine. I haven't seen TDS factor into many plant issues personally. They should be fine into the high 7s eventually.
Borderline probably. I'd start with the bulbs and then evaluate. At 2 WPG (horrible measure of lighting btw), you should be fine with adding Excel at the most depending on plant growth & lighting.

Back
Top Bottom