Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
CAn you keep blue lobster "crayfish" in a planted tank? I. Am looking into setting up a small 10 gallon planted tank. My friend has crayfish and they had like 30 babies. Seeing if I can take a couple.

those crayfish are notorious for destroying planted tanks.

I went to my LFS and they said take a lot of the baby crayfish because they sell them for $20 each and they are not much bigger. They said hatchetfish are good with them because of the water levels they live in. And live plants are fine with crayfish also.

I saw a blog post once where he had a picture before he added in a blue crayfish which was a nice very heavily planted tank, then a picture of after he added it, and the water was so dirty you couldn't see past the glass because the crayfish had dug up all his plants and put a ton of his dirt substrate into the water. I would say if you want to try, don't expect it to work. There's also many a story where the crayfish is ok for several months then all of a sudden will go on a killing spree. So yeah, definitely be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Ok well I think I'm stuck with getting the crayfish now. Thinking maybe no live plants.

Back
Top Bottom