Crazy idea for my new 130gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new-to-me 130gallon tank. It needs everything so it’s a little expensive right now. I’m thinking I could save money and still provide plants for my future fishies by not putting in any substrate. If I put in driftwood, Marino (sp.?) balls, and lots of pothos anchored underneath, as well as frogbit on top, would such a set-up work? It’s kind of minimal style. Maybe some other plants that don’t need to be actually planted? Anyone have a tank like this? Can you post some pics?

It can work for sure! that plan is fine. You could fine tune it a bit though.

A simple blasting sand or pool filter sand substrate, like 1" worth would be visually pleasing and its super cheap....

Java ferns, anubias, bolbitus, buce and moss can all work with no substrate as well...

Great idea about the sand substrate. That would look nicer. And thanks for the great list of plants! That was super-helpful. I’m going to an aquarium society auction this Sunday so hopefully I can get the hardware I need and start setting up with these plants soon!

Garnet sand blasting or waterjet abrasive sand is available at most farm supply, some hardware stores and of course sand blasting supply stores. Often you can get a variety of grit sizes.

It is a purple color if mined from Idaho - Emerald Creek. You can do a search for it Idaho Garnet sand. If it comes from India or other countries it could be Orange /Sunset, reddish colors or Purple. Also have seen it advertised in differing colors from those. 50lb bag around here is $17-25.00 sand blasting supplier lowest cost, Farm stores around the $25. - hardware stores could be higher than that.

You can do a little at a time for your new tank as you get good deals.

Ooo, color choices! I had no idea there were color choices. That’s really interesting. It may be a good idea for me to plan my stock list and choose a blasting sand color that would bring out the fish colors.

Well, not too many colors but there are options. Sometimes you select the fish is there is something it requires (high or low Ph or other special needs) and build the tank around that, but a regular community tank with the mid range similar parameter requiring fish will do fine with Garnet sand.

It is inert and won't increase pH or decrease it.

Cool. Thanks.

I’m thinking I have enough room for a few rams, angelfish, Cories, neons, Tetras and swordtails.

You have lots of room.

There is much discussion that Rams tend to like warmer water (and lower end pH), though often they are listed as same water temps as general community fish.

Neons not so much, Cardinals a bit more interested in warm water lower pH.

Tetras vary a bit.

Swordtails like the upper side of pH.

Cories cooler side and med to lower pH.

Angels are good for the med. to lower pH and warmer water.

Figuring stocking is somewhat like putting together a beautiful puzzle!

Back
Top Bottom