Crazy question?!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really is not a crazy question. Most low light plants do not need co2 (whether it's liquid or pressurized). Java ferns do not need co2. As long as you have the right light requirements and ferts, most low light plants will survive. It's usually only when you get into med/high light plants that really need the co2.

I just mean Do you have to have a co2 tank and all that? I wanna do some java fern on rocks but I have a regular lid and light

I just mean Do you have to have a co2 tank and all that? I wanna do some java fern on rocks but I have a regular lid and light

No, pressurized co2 is definitely not needed for java ferns and plants in its range. It's merely a supplement to help plants grow better and faster. Which at the same time eliminates algae. If you do not plan on getting more advanced plants or upgrading to a brighter light, co2 will not be needed. People like to start of with glut (liquid co2) first, before getting into pressurized co2.

Java moss will have even less requirements than java fern. You can prob get away will not dosing any ferts and co2. Will you have fish in the tank?

Yes I will :0 Petrified wood covered with Java moss or fern is what I'm going for. I'll be putting shrimp in the tank

What lights do you have or are going to use?
If you want the petrified wood to look nice, I would not use java moss. I would use Taiwan, willow, or flame moss. They are more easily controlled and will not spread everywhere.

O okay and what kind of light should I use? I'm way new at this last time I tried live plants it was a nightmare all plants and fish died so this time I want to research a lot and get my facts straight!!

I grow java moss and other mosses in a Tupperware with nothing but water and natural light till I get big enough pieces to attach to my driftwood. I can turn a single string of.moss into a full mat in not much time at all. I change the Tupperware water once every 3 days to give it more minerals from the fresh tap water

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I grow java moss and other mosses in a Tupperware with nothing but water and natural light till I get big enough pieces to attach to my driftwood. I can turn a single string of.moss into a full mat in not much time at all. I change the Tupperware water once every 3 days to give it more minerals from the fresh tap water

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size container/pieces do you start with, and is your water treated or not ? Can you post some pics ?

Back
Top Bottom