Crinum thaianum (Onion Plant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclubb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I was wondering about this plant. It is doing quite well in my aquarium and I like it quite a bit. It also seems exactly like a terrestrial plant I have that I call a pregnant onion. I have taken some of the daughter bulbs from the terrestrial plant and put them in some of my old water so see if they will survive/prosper.

Has anyone done this before or do they need to start out as water plants?

Jay

According to mongobay.com, its an aquarium plant and not a terrestrial one; hopefully we have some folks with some experiences to share with you in the forum.

i had them for a while... they crow pretty fast with decent light, but without proper nutrients, they tend to yellow fast too. I think they're heavy root feeders, so try putting a root tab under your substrate near this one. I also think it needs a good iron source. mine grew super fast actually. I got rid of it because it kept blocking the light for my other plants and when i got a hair algae issue, the algae grew all over it and it had to go. its a nice plant, easy to care for. i like the way it looks when it really starts putting out new leaves. HTH

Well after a little more investigation I have found that the two plant are entirely different and that this is a *BAD* idea. Apparently the pregnant onion is quite poisonous. I have never seen two different plants that look the same. The only difference in appearance was the flowers. Oh well....

Back
Top Bottom