Critique...what's missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here is a current pic of my 90 gal planted tank. Can you tell me what I am missing? Or what you would add?

I feel like I need some mid-ground plants and some more stems (the bout with ich took it's toll)

What would you add?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Attachments

• 90gal52208.JPG
    90gal52208.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 72
maybe some micro swords in the front and maybe something red. Although I think it really is pretty the way it is, the bright greens with your red discuss.
Glad to see your discuss pulled through the ich. I bet what ever you decide will be stunning as are the rest of your tanks that you have done.

The main thing I see looking at your aquarium is the broad green leaves. I'd look at adding some fine leaved plants and/or red leaved plants. Also some shorter plants in the foreground would be nice.

The overall scape has good shape, just needs some contrast and interest to draw the eye around the aquarium.

I agree with contrast, but with the color of the Discus, I wouldn't go with red plants. Perhaps some darker greens in there and some shorter plants.

I think it could use some hardscape. A large piece of driftwood or some rocks or something to break up the textures in the upper half of the visual area.

Nice ideas...I like it! I actually have some crypts in another tank....hmmmm, I might have to start stealing from it....hoooo-aaa---hhaaahhaa (that's my typed version of a scary evil laugh)

I am not a planted aquarist at all and have never really tried. But from an outsider perspective I think some tall thin leave plants in the center spot where it is bare would fill out things nicely something that resembeled grass or a fern or something.

What did you use to terrace the plants? I can't tell from the picture if those are just pots that they're in or if they are on raised beds of some sort.

Either way I think it looks great with robust growth. I agree that something shorter in front would look nice, someone mentioned microsword and I would second that thought. And maybe some corkscrew (or regular) vals in the back?

Excellent ideas guys. :) So far I think I can incorporate all of them. :) I thinking now(from your ideas) a LOAD of vals in the back in several groups......Some crypts in the middle front, and microswords carpeting the terraced area at the front (and wherever else they decide to take over)
I am thinking also some more rotala bunches to get that thin leaf texture in about three groups throughout. :)

To answer your question it is a terrace, or rather two terraces. A smaller one on the left, larger on the right, it's almost a 60/40 split with a valley of pfs in between.

After an exhausting search for the right material I ended up making them out of acrylic. I wanted a sandy beach area in the front to give a free swimming space and also a place for the discus to pick food off of the sand which they love to do. :) I was also hoping the terrace would keep the eco-complete from mixing too much with the sand, but the first time I moved one of those swords I had a bunch of little rocks mucking it up.
In retrospect I probably would have just made the terrace out of driftwood and rocks and just used pfs for substrate since it would have given me a more natural look.

I do like the way most of the tank debris settles in the valley so I can easily clean it out even between PWC. It makes it easy to keep it clean for the discus. :) and the LED lights in the bottom of the terrace are pretty neat at night. It lights up the whole terrace wall. :)

Do you have any pictures of the tank with the LED lights? I'd love to see that effect.

I think the terraces look cool but totally understand the desire for a more natural look. I have this huge chunk of driftwood that I tried to pile my EcoComplete up behind, but as substrates will it has migrated and now there's not much topographical relief as before. And I hear you about EcoComplete's ability to get everywhere, especially where you don't want it.

OK here are a couple of pics I took right now.

Attachments

• nightlight.jpg
    nightlight.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 46
  • nightlight2.jpg
    nightlight2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 50
We originally wanted them to come on in phases slowly turning from one color to the next but we couldn't find th right controller and it was holding up the entire project so I asked him to just make them all come on at the same time and it works. :)

Now I just have to get it on a timer. :)

I have my eye on a few pieces on ebay.....local sources have failed me...or rather I have failed to find good local sources. There are a couple of ebay suppliers that have already done all the treating etc. :)

Well to be fair, I made the design but my husband built it so it wasn't hard for me at all....lol. Actually it wasn't that big of a project if you want more details I can pm you. :)

Back
Top Bottom