Crypt...dying leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read that Crypts do not like to be moved, and it is common for their leaves to "melt" after buying them and putting them in ones tank. I got one a week ago, and two leaves have died on me already. Some are very green, others have faint yellow spots on them. I did also read that they do recover if they are not disturbed. I am just curious what the "recoil" period is on Crypts in low light. I have not dosed any ferts, but I am probably going to pick up a bottle of Flourish.

If you bought a crypt that was grown emersed, it will take some time for it to adjust to being submerged. Most commercially grown aquatic plants (such as Tropica) are grown emersed in green houses and don't see any water until they reach the store.

If you bought a crypt that was grown emersed, it will take some time for it to adjust to being submerged. Most commercially grown aquatic plants (such as Tropica) are grown emersed in green houses and don't see any water until they reach the store.

Not sure if it was grown emersed, but thanks for that info. Do you think you could identify the crypt? When I walked out of the store I immediately forgot its species.

img_1184964_0_49408a7db8c452114eed46644eb01738.jpg

img_1184964_1_6d1ddd9b56c402af8de62653237171a5.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it is impossible to positively identify a Crypt unless it is in bloom. Based on the picture and what Crypts are commonly found in stores, it could be Crypt Lucens, Crypt x Willisi, or perhaps Crypt Parva.

Doesn't look like Parva. It's too tall. My Parva also has green stems, not red. Maybe Wendtii?

It looks very similar to the C. 'willisii that I have growing emersed. No way to be sure unless you grow it (or a runner) emersed and get it to flower.

You may want to pick up some fertz. When I first put a few plants (swords)in my tank, it took me a week or two to make it to the store to buy food for them and they started to get a few yellow spots on them. I bought some Florapride and started dosing and they've been healthy and green ever since.

Yeah I'm gonna go buy a bottle of Flourish this weekend, even my Java Fern is starting to look a little weak.

Back
Top Bottom