Crypt identity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388768917.056845.jpg
can somebody tell me what type of crypt this is, I got it at my local store but I don't remember even checking to see what type it was and now I'm not sure.

it does look similar but In any case about how long do crypts take to start to send off runners and spread because it's been in the tank for almost a week and it hasn't melted or showed any signs of deterioration so I'm thinking it's in pretty good health and I was hoping it would spread out a little towards the front of my tank soon (I will be adding temple Hygrophila behind it) and so that's why I've been trying to figure out the species so I could research it a little more and try to get a guess on the growth rate, but how long does that usually take in your experience? Also I may reposition it after I add the Hygrophila so I haven't added a root tab just yet but I will be once I get all the plants settled in their final spots.

Just about all crypts are what I would call "slow growers". They won't readily spread like some other plants. I don't believe it is lutea. We have some of both and the leaves start later on the stem on the retro than lutea. Could be wrong though, not a plant guy by any means.

Yeah I think it looks more like the retro also, and so would I just be better off buying a few more than waiting?

Probably so. Unless you have far more patience than I do.

Yeah I have some but not enough to wait several months for it to spread haha

I haven't noticed runners in mine. Just really fast growing leaves and lots of them. But on the single plants. No runners and I have had mine in the tank for around 3 months now. I bought them in one of those little packs from Petsmart. Those grew really fast. But have not sent out runners.
If you are looking for lushness I would say buy a few more. I have had good luck with the petsmart packs. They are cheaper and you get a bunch of plants.

Back
Top Bottom