Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Crypt in 10 Gallon?

Can a Crypt do well in a 10gal?

I have a ten gallon tank that I was setting up for my cory cats and CPD (9 fish in total). I had already planned on putting plants and cuttings from my main tank in there as well.

I was watching my CPD today for the first time in ages and it seems like they really enjoy speeding through and hiding in the crypt that I have. It actually looked like they were playing and that was quite a sight, let me tell you.

So anyhow, I was thinking of putting one of the little crypt runners that have popped up over the last year in to the ten gallon. Since they really like it, I want them to have one in their tank too. Will it do well in 10 gallon? Will I see new growth? I already have the lighting set up and I have tons of liquid ferts and co2 for my main tank.

Initially I was planning on only putting anubias, hygro corymbosa cuttings, and Monte Carlo micranthemum.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I've kept crypts in a low tech, low light, no CO2 setup with success. Tank size is not relevant. Fertilizers in the substrate are as these are greedy root feeders.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So it should be fine?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliSab View Post
So it should be fine?

Depends on the setup in the 10g.
Mine did well in low and low-medium lighting. I would concentrate on substrate fertilizers over water column ferts for these plants.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, as long as you have substrate fertilization (root tabs, soil), it should be fine.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

10-4, thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Depends on the setup in the 10g.
Mine did well in low and low-medium lighting. I would concentrate on substrate fertilizers over water column ferts for these plants.

I'm using a mix of flourite sand and slightly bigger grain flourite sand, excel, flourish, and nitrogen.

By the way, I was thinking of putting a snail or maybe some shrimp in later on. How do they usually do with those fertilisers? I had shrimp when I had just begun my tank a couple of years back and they all died within a couple of weeks and I suspect that it was because of the flourish and the trace copper in it.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My old 10g set up
C pontederiifolia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	300505
C lucens

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	300506
Cory habrosus on C wendtii "Mi Oya"

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	300507
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I'm using a mix of flourite sand and slightly bigger grain flourite sand, excel, flourish, and nitrogen.

By the way, I was thinking of putting a snail or maybe some shrimp in later on. How do they usually do with those fertilisers? I had shrimp when I had just begun my tank a couple of years back and they all died within a couple of weeks and I suspect that it was because of the flourish and the trace copper in it.
I was using EcoComplete and it looked similar to Cousair's pics.
Snails and/or shrimp should be fine with Flourish when used as directed. I don't think the copper content is high enough (based on my experience with it) to cause problems. GH, KH, the acclimation process, and quality of stock are usually the culprits for shrimp deaths. When I first started keeping shrimp I had a 66% die off rate. These were purchased from an LFS. Deaths would occur during molting. I then used cuttlebone (and later montmorillonite clay) to boost the calcium level and purchased shrimp online from a reputable dealer. Die off pretty much stopped after that.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I was using EcoComplete and it looked similar to Cousair's pics.
Snails and/or shrimp should be fine with Flourish when used as directed. I don't think the copper content is high enough (based on my experience with it) to cause problems. GH, KH, the acclimation process, and quality of stock are usually the culprits for shrimp deaths. When I first started keeping shrimp I had a 66% die off rate. These were purchased from an LFS. Deaths would occur during molting. I then used cuttlebone (and later montmorillonite clay) to boost the calcium level and purchased shrimp online from a reputable dealer. Die off pretty much stopped after that.

I was following it to a T and for some reason they all died in a matter of days. The fish were just fine though. I tested the water and everything there was fine too. I thought at first it was excel but realised after it must have been the flourish.

It's for that reason I've avoided getting any shrimps or snails even though I really want to. I may give it another try.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was following it to a T and for some reason they all died in a matter of days. The fish were just fine though. I tested the water and everything there was fine too. I thought at first it was excel but realised after it must have been the flourish.

It's for that reason I've avoided getting any shrimps or snails even though I really want to. I may give it another try.

Do you use prime after every water change? It could be a high copper content from your hot water taps. Prime or another dechlorinator is a must if your house has copper pipes
Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Do you use prime after every water change? It could be a high copper content from your hot water taps. Prime or another dechlorinator is a must if your house has copper pipes

I use API Stress Coat, removes chlorine and chloramines, and heavy metals. I'll see about testing my tap for copper, but I'm not sure that's it.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check your TDS. Shrimp are sensitive to
Total dissolved solids. You can get a TDS meter fairly cheap.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a quick update, I changed my substrate over and got everything replanted. The crypt has done beautifully so far. There has been minimal melt and I'm going out tomorrow to pick up some root tabs to give it more of a boost.
I split the plant up a bit and put some in my 10 gallon while replanting the bulk of it in my main tank.

As an aside question: seachem flourish/api root tabs are okay for snails and shrimp?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. I've used Flourish in the past and any copper in either should be minute amounts.

I currently use Thrive. They make Thrive-S for Shrimp tanks. He also makes a version of Root Tabs.

Tags
10 gallon, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com