Crypt management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started a planted tank 8 months ago and everything has gone well. I've never had crypts before so I didn't really place them well in the beginning and I'd like to trim them but I'd also really like to not kill them. So how would I go about doing that?

40 breeder black sand over seachem flourite. 25 neons 1 snakeskin giurami 1 bristlenose pleco. Anubias, repens, red undulata crypt

20200506_104703.jpg20210117_184436.jpeg

Trim the leaves back to the base with scissors. Periodically remove whole leaves and thin out the plants as they get too big for your taste. It looks like you have good growing conditions for crypts, so new growth should come in to replace what you remove, its just a matter of keeping on top of it so it doesn't overgrow and take over the front/centre of your tank.

My crypt grows like a weed and sends runners out all over the tank, up to 400mm away from the original plant. I pull the runners out of the substrate rather than trim them.

Thank you all i guess I'll trim a section and see how it reacts. I can't place it in the back when I made the filtration for the tank the spray bar is along the back wall and made the hardscape around it.20200426_195552.jpg20200430_085549.jpg

I have never seen a spray bar mounted low like this. They are usually at surface level to move water and exchange oxygen for the fish to breath.

When I moved my crypts from a 20 to the 65, they came out as one huge piece all wrapped together. I added to the new tank and worked sand under and into the roots again and saw very little melt.

I have never seen a spray bar mounted low like this. They are usually at surface level to move water and exchange oxygen for the fish to breath.

When I moved my crypts from a 20 to the 65, they came out as one huge piece all wrapped together. I added to the new tank and worked sand under and into the roots again and saw very little melt.
Right on spot about the spray bar!

It was an idea i wanted to try. I cut out a section from a 7gallon tall bucket and siliconed it in the corner. The actual filter on the tank is a fluval 307 with the intake and output hoses behind the overflow with the heater and the output is connected to the spray bar at the base. I made it this way for even flow through the whole tank its sort of a circular motion of flow and it keeps debris suspended until it finds its way to the overflow and I get constant surface skimming. The water has about a 4 inch drop behind the overflow so that's where most of my surface agitation happens for oxygen exchange.

It was an idea i wanted to try. I cut out a section from a 7gallon tall bucket and siliconed it in the corner. The actual filter on the tank is a fluval 307 with the intake and output hoses behind the overflow with the heater and the output is connected to the spray bar at the base. I made it this way for even flow through the whole tank its sort of a circular motion of flow and it keeps debris suspended until it finds its way to the overflow and I get constant surface skimming. The water has about a 4 inch drop behind the overflow so that's where most of my surface agitation happens for oxygen exchange.
That's a cool set up. Good job

Cut it back. 2 days later new growth is appearing.20210123_162926.jpg20210123_163036.jpg

I didnt quite mean to trim it like that. I would have removed maybe half the leafs right down to the substrate. Thinned it out rather than trimming all the leafs down so you still had a plant to look at.

As it was dominating the front of the tank and I have more in the tank I just went all the way with it. The fish seem to like it better with an area to congregate. As it comes back ill keep it trimmed lower and less unmanaged than before.

It grew back just fine but only about half as tall which works for me20210614_152233.jpg

Trim the leaves back to the base with scissors. Periodically remove whole leaves and thin out the plants as they get too big for your taste. It looks like you have good growing conditions for crypts, so new growth should come in to replace what you remove, its just a matter of keeping on top of it so it doesn't overgrow and take over the front/centre of your tank.

My crypt grows like a weed and sends runners out all over the tank, up to 400mm away from the original plant. I pull the runners out of the substrate rather than trim them.

i have newly platned tank that includes a Red Crypt
It is growing amazingly well.... and is already sending out a runner with sprouting leaves

My present tank is also only 10 gallons so, i assume that eventually I will have to trim it back.
Do I just remove (cut) the outer leaves near the base ? Is it that simple?

It seems to be that easy. I'm just in the habit now of trimming the tallest leaf every now and again to keep it in line.

Back
Top Bottom