Crypt Wendtii problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I moved a Crypt Wendtii (green) from my 20 long, low tech to a 3 gallon Fluval Spec about a month ago. At first it seemed to do pretty well, but after a week its slowly started loosing leaves/stems.
Im familiar with "crypt melt" and this doesn't quite look like the same thing... unless the "melting" is taking place at the base of the plant. Seem like every other day there is another leaf/stem floating at the top of the tank.

Its just got the stock LED light that comes with the Fluval Spec 3. Im using the Fluval Shrimp substrate with a DIY root tab underneath. I dose the Flourish line (comprehensive, iron, potassium and trace) twice a week and Excel daily. 50% PWCs weekly. Its the same regime that I had in the 20 long. There's another Crypt Wendtii in that tank that is doing well.

Any thoughts? Right now its got four very limp, sad looking stems. Should I just wait it out and see it adjusts and starts giving me some new growth? If so, how long?
Supposedly this is one of those hardy, beginner plants, but leave it to me to kill one. :ermm:

If you dose it with some potassium that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Already doing that. I'm currently dosing Flourish Potassium twice a week at the recommending dosage; which works out to 1/2ml. If you factor in water displacement from substrate and decor, I think its actually a little bit higher than the recommended dosage.

Ok, it should start improving then.

Oh, I have no clue then. It could just be from transitioning

I've heard that some will melt down completely to the roots before coming back. Maybe this is doing that?

Established crypts hate to be moved, it's doing its melt and it should come back, a nice healthy root tab will help it along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard that some will melt down completely to the roots before coming back. Maybe this is doing that?

Seems like my best case scenario at this point. I guess my concern was that it doesn't look like typical melting. The individual stems are just sort of detaching but the leaves themselves are intact.

Established crypts hate to be moved, it's doing its melt and it should come back, a nice healthy root tab will help it along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah... I put a Mebbid Osmocote DIY root tab under it when I initially replanted it.

Back
Top Bottom