Cryptocoryne Parva Carpet (6 Gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganv11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, currently I have a 6 gallon tank with shrimp balls as substrate. I recently added cryptocoryne parva and I'm hoping it will carpet the tank. I don't use any CO2, but I have added root food to the substrate.

My question is, how long will it take for the tank to be carpeted?

Thank you!:D

What do you mean shrimp balls, like Fluval Stratum / Amazonia/ other shrimp substrate?

Also a pic of, and /or the size of the plant you put in would be helpful. A difference if you bought a mat of the plants or one single plant :) .

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the exact name of the substrate but it's similar to the Aqueon Shrimp and Plant Substrate. The plants came from the store in a small black cup and I took them out washed them and tried to separate them into individual plants as seen in the picture.

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 25
Cool! Do you have ammonia leaching from the substrate, just curious?

I haven't ever used this plant to carpet. Definitely I would use substrate capsules it will help with the roots to take up additional nutrients and grow more quickly.

Also liquid ferts too. Mind you not over dosing or using excessive root tabs/caps but the amount recommended. The correct dosing will help the most.

The substrate is great for roots to grow in light and plenty of spaces to grow into the areas all around.

It seems in my memory that it takes a little time for the plant to get settled in guessing maybe 6 month and then it gets going. My fert schedule is lazy and infrequent in the past couple years.

Following weekly liquid dosing and adding in root ferts as recommended also good lighting schedule - maybe set on a timer so you have consistency.

Dwarf hair grass usually does great in that substrate but holding it down is more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom