Crypts growing quite large.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t4runnr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ever since I finished re-doing my 75g, my crypts have grown way more then I’ve ever seen in my previous tank setups . I’m guessing it’s due to my added lights and the CO2.

I like them a lot but they are now “drowning” out on of my swords. They have even engulfed the 3 pieces of driftwood that originally surrounded them.

I’ve never had to trim crypts so how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4698.jpg

Wow that is a beautiful bush of crypts. Sad to see you wanting to thin it but if you must just do it the same as if it were an amazon sword. Cut a leaf as close to the substrate as you can leaving a few leaves on each node of crypts so new leaves will grow. Of course start with the leaves that look thw worst. Another option would be to uproot some of them but that can be a much tougher job that will surely make a pretty good mess.

Thanks.

I love how well it’s grown. My fear is that it won’t stop. It’s taken about a 1/3 of the tank now.

My worry is that like trimming a bush or tree outside, once I start trimming, it won’t look good then I end up trimming everything.

I never had these crypts grow this much before I redid the tank. They came from the same bunch that was in the tank before.

Thanks. Like I’ve said above, I love how they turned out. Definitely not what I expected. Just gotta figure how best to trim this without totally destroying it.

They are a mix of green and bronze.

"Best" would be complete removal of the large ones and keep the smaller ones.

Next "best" would be like mentioned above, cut off the older leaves. But I'm not certain that will result in the plants producing smaller leaves. New leaves will likely get bigger and bigger....

I pull them up roots and all and separate them keeping the choice sizes and tossing out the rest or offer them up for sale

Thanks for your replies. I’ll take both suggestions to consideration when I’m ready. I think I’ll let this grow a little longer. Perhaps get some rocks to “surround” to try to limit the spreading out. Not sure it will work but I’ll give it a try.

I still really love how they turned out compared to when I last revealed this tank. I guess I can move my driftwood around since I can’t see them anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom