curlyleaf pondweed in aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
There is a ton of this in my local lake, and it surprises me that no one uses it in their aquariums. It seems to be a resilient stem plant, and it is appears to be easy to propagate, as it is growing everywhere. I personally think it looks neat, it has broze to dark green leaves on each stem that look similar to Apongeton Crispus. With proper sterilization, I think this would be a easy to grow, low-budget plant for aquariums. Your thoughts?

image.axd

here is a pic

I think im going to. Depending on the growth rate it may become a cheap nitrate sponge for my fry tanks

I would check to make sure it is legal to keep. I think in Illinois it is an invasive so you can't keep it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would check to make sure it is legal to keep. I think in Illinois it is an invasive so you can't keep it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'll have to look into that i think it is invasive here too

Shipping and keeping are 2 different things. Many states won't let you ship noxious weeds, most notably California. But they have no problem letting you have it.

Shipping and keeping are 2 different things. Many states won't let you ship noxious weeds, most notably California. But they have no problem letting you have it.

That makes sense, I guess keeping wouldn't hurt the ecosystem, it would actually help by taking a few plants out.

Sterilized some of this plant and threw in my tank. Its been in there a day or two, and I swear it has already grew a few leaves!

Hehe sounds awesome! :) i wany some for my tank, ive been meaning to get some native plants, but theres no lakes nearby to get any

Back
Top Bottom