Current USA Satellite LED+ dilemma!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I'm getting ready to set up a 75g planted (48" long by 18" tall), and I was set on getting the finnex planted+ because I would be in the high end of low light and the low end of medium light range. I'm aiming for a lower tech tank to start, but If a better lights means higher tech I'm willing to look into it.

My real problem is I just found out about the Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ fixture and now I have no idea what to get because this light looks really cool with all the settings and completely different light spectrum!

Does anyone with a planted tank have theCurrent USA Satellite Freshwater LED+, do you get good plant growth, and most importantly do to like it?

I really need opinions thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

Don't have the satellite + but I do have the planted + and I love the finnex planted plus. My plants are growing great and the color spectrum is great. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405547156.179460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Kidding... i run both lights, what do do you want to know? How far you want to take this tank? Budget?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kidding... i run both lights, what do do you want to know? How far you want to take this tank? Budget?

What do I want to know... The meaning of life jkjk :)

1)Um id like to know what you think if the spectrum on the satellite+?

2)Is it good for growing plants?

3)Do you get growth on your plants with it? Because of the spectrum?

4)Do you like one more than the other?

5)Just your general opinion on each fixture.

When I start this tank I'm looking to go lower tech, and working up to a high tech tank just because of the cost of starting a new tank. The budget is what ever, obv I'm going to have to save for some stuff because I am in high school and I still have to pay for drivers ed. My filter is payed for because of grad money and so is my tank + stand.

Sorry for all the questions!

What do I want to know... The meaning of life jkjk :)

1)Um id like to know what you think if the spectrum on the satellite+?

2)Is it good for growing plants?

3)Do you get growth on your plants with it? Because of the spectrum?

4)Do you like one more than the other?

5)Just your general opinion on each fixture.

When I start this tank I'm looking to go lower tech, and working up to a high tech tank just because of the cost of starting a new tank. The budget is what ever, obv I'm going to have to save for some stuff because I am in high school and I still have to pay for drivers ed. My filter is payed for because of grad money and so is my tank + stand.

1) the color customization of the satellite poops all over the finnex.. no contest..
2) I've only had the 2 sats for a few days on my new 40b, plants are immediately responding.. I've had a finnex planted plus on my 20t for a while.and it grows med light plants extremely well..
3) I'm a firm believer in spectrum aiding in max plant growth and color so I have no doubt the sat will pull.its weight.
4/5) in really like both fixtures, i can gauruntee you'll like the finnex on your tank only because it's tall and current sats 36-48 fixture will leave shadows unless you get 2- 24".
For your tank I'd recommend the finnex planted plus, if you choose to go high tech you can always double up.. if you ever get a 40b?? Dual sat plus, they look awesome and if your into gadgetry they are a blast!

Thanks brookster for confirming my first choice! Planted+ it is!

If I plant my 10g later maybe a sat+ 18" for it....... If it's possible

Thanks brookster for confirming my first choice! Planted+ it is!

If I plant my 10g later maybe a sat+ 18" for it....... If it's possible

Heck yah!! I'm about to get another for my 10! So you're versed in the requirements of a low/med light tank?

Heck yah!! I'm about to get another for my 10! So you're versed in the requirements of a low/med light tank?

Kind of, I've been doing some research and still need to do more lol.

I need a source of CO2 (I'm looking into metricide 14 in canada which will be diluted 50:50), for ferts I'm probably going dry maybe pps-pro, for substrate I'm going to go maybe Eco complete capped with black sand. I have to find the "sweet spot" for my light fert metricide balance, I've heard that a siesta period during the day is good maybe 3hr on 1hr off 3hr on to start? And hard scaping to plan is key

Anything else major I still need to know?

Sound s like you've done your homework! May the force be with you young jedi

Yes I have! lol now just to get my filter in the mail then I can really get started with this build!

I cannot speak for the Current Sat because I do not own one, but I can speak for the Finnex Planted+......I love it! It is a great light for plants and you will not be disappointed.

Kind of, I've been doing some research and still need to do more lol.

I need a source of CO2 (I'm looking into metricide 14 in canada which will be diluted 50:50), for ferts I'm probably going dry maybe pps-pro, for substrate I'm going to go maybe Eco complete capped with black sand. I have to find the "sweet spot" for my light fert metricide balance, I've heard that a siesta period during the day is good maybe 3hr on 1hr off 3hr on to start? And hard scaping to plan is key

Anything else major I still need to know?

Perfect but maybe consider a longer siesta period. 2 maybe 3 hours

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok so just start with a longer break period. Could I make it shorter over time and the lights on longer too over time?

What timer would you recommend to turn the lights on/off two times a day?

Ok so just start with a longer break period. Could I make it shorter over time and the lights on longer too over time?

What timer would you recommend to turn the lights on/off two times a day?

Depending on your schedule? The siesta period is great in that it gives my plants what they need, starves out algae and allows me to view my tanks before and after work with our running lights more than 8 hrs.. i use digital timers by woods, they have 14 stage settings.. on/off button and battery backup in case you lose power you won't have to reprogram.. very happy for 15$

I love my current satellite. I have one over my 75 gal Planted and I plan on adding another in the near future before setting up my co2. The best part about these lights is the sun rise function. I mean, I know how I feel when someone barges in my room in the morning and blasts on the light. Not cool. Plus, if you run 2 lights, just put the remote sensors next to each other to keep the lights in sync.

drink more beer

Depending on your schedule? The siesta period is great in that it gives my plants what they need, starves out algae and allows me to view my tanks before and after work with our running lights more than 8 hrs.. i use digital timers by woods, they have 14 stage settings.. on/off button and battery backup in case you lose power you won't have to reprogram.. very happy for 15$

Yeah that makes sense, fit it to my schedule cause there's no point in it being on the whole day. And a longer siesta period is good for algae control too so why make the break short.

And thanks for the timer name! I didn't know you could get them with multiple settings throughout the day, I'll probably get one from like wallmart or Home Depot or something. Thanks!

I got one from home depot that does the same thing.. just a bit more pricey. .

I have the Satellite LED+ and I really like it, the color variations you can do are great and easy to set up with the remote control. A lot of it is eye candy and not really relevant, but... well, aren't we doing the whole aquarium thing mostly as eye candy?

There is one big however... despite all that remote control sophistication there is no timer with it. And at least according to Current's web site there is no truly compatible timer (look at the FAQ's). What you have to use is an off/on timer, so no ramp-up or ramp-down (automated), it comes back on at the same setting last turned off (which better not be "off" from the remote).

What I did to substitute is took a Raspberry Pi and made a separate IR controller for it, that can run any schedule I want, but that's a much more involved process than most people would follow.

If all you want is on/off on a timer, it is fine. But be aware of that limitation. And while on you can control with the remote -- just be sure to leave it fully on with the remote when done so the timer will work.

You can use the satellite plus with a single ramp timer as long as the setting on the Sat+ is on one of the main color presets (i.e. Orange or Full Spectrum). It only gets incompatible when you accidentally leave the Sat+ in a dynamic mode like clouds or something when the ramp cycle begins.

Back
Top Bottom