Cyano cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 1 beta, 2 Amano shrimp, and 3 cherry shrimp. I have anubias and asian water fern varieties, my tank is fully cycled and I do an 80% WC every week. Somehow, thick-green cyano seems to be growing no matter how often I clean it up by hand, it comes back after 3 days or so and it covers my plants and substrate (I use eco-complete planted substrate). I only feed every other day and a small amount. Is lighting a problem? I use a 1 bulb LED (not designed for aquariums). Can this be the issue? Visually, it's got a yellow spectrum and it can be the source of algae, but was wondering if there's more to it. How many hours should the light be on? Any help would be great. Thanks

You can try a few things to get rid of BGA. It's said to come about with a low nitrate level. Have you tested for nitrates?

Also, it's a photosynthetic bacteria so doing a blackout would help. Spot treating with h2o2. And lastly, if all else fails, you can use Maracyn or other erythromycin containing product. There's how to threads and articles, so a simple search would shed light.

My mother's tank also has a BGA outbreak. I'm going to give a product called Ultralife Blue Green Algae Remover a try. I'll report back with my findings if this product is legit or not.

What's a black out? Turn off lights? How long does this need done?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Erythromycin works great. It will not harm your good bacteria in the filter. Filter bacteria is gram positive and BGA is gram negative. The Erythro only kills gram negative bacteria. I tried everything before giving up and using this. It never came back. Just make sure to clean the dead BGA up and keep a check on the ammonia and nitrate. The dead BGA will cause a spike in these if not removed.

Back
Top Bottom