Cycling 55 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axolover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am cycling a 55 gallon tank without any fish in it . I have two potted plants and 2 sponge filters. I wanted to jump start it by adding beneficial bacteria to the tank instead of waiting because I’m going to a reptile expo in February . Should I fake feed the tank after I add it ? Is it okay to do it before? How long should I wait ? No surprise the ammonia is at 0 and the ph is at 7.6 currently .

If you use like the bacteria kick starters add some food so it can decompose and to make sure the ammonia converts to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, then test and watch for some nitrates because once there are a decent amount 20ppm~ the tank should be cycled

You can try bb in a bottle but I wouldn't personally suggest it. You will need to feed it regardless but some spike your ammo and nitrite. Some can do it a month later with apparently no change to what you are doing (this is what happened to me). Really those you need to just read the bottle to answer that question. How long are you going to be at your expo? Are you planning on bring fish home from the expo (I have no idea what they have at those)I am just just wondering why you want to hurry the cycle.

You can try bb in a bottle but I wouldn't personally suggest it. You will need to feed it regardless but some spike your ammo and nitrite. Some can do it a month later with apparently no change to what you are doing (this is what happened to me). Really those you need to just read the bottle to answer that question. How long are you going to be at your expo? Are you planning on bring fish home from the expo (I have no idea what they have at those)I am just just wondering why you want to hurry the cycle.

Yes i want to bring them home then but it only runs for one day :(

Ok I see where you'er going with this, Go ahead and give bb a try. Leave the stability alone I think there is a bad batch of it out there people haven't been having good luck with it recently. I would go with the Dr. Tim's one and only. I have never used it but I have heard good things. Once you get it going then yes you need to feed the bb with pure ammo until the night before then do your big like 90% water change and you should be good to go! Just make sure you do your testing and all will be well!

Back
Top Bottom