Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blt831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1st tank, low light, low tech, 20 gallons
I’ve been cycling my tank for about 3 weeks using fish food (It’s in my office at work so I couldn't do the raw shrimp method & wasn't confident enough to try to find the right kind of ammonia). Early on I added some dirty water & some mulm from an established tank & recently, I added 8 biostars that had been in an established filter (for 3 weeks) to speed the process. I’m using an API FW Master test kit.
3 days ago, my parameters read
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: .25
Nitrates: 5
So I figured I was heading to the end of the cycle.
2 days ago, I got my plants in (14-15) & planted them. Today, the parameters read
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0!

Did I screw up the tests or did the plants use all the Nitrates already?

Last edited:
hmm, really hadn't planned on getting fish for a few days, somewhere between this Tuesday & next Tuesday. I need to have a day where I have time to acclimate them & I hadn't decided on my final lineup yet also.

My ferts should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

Ok, stupid question, can i use a drop or 2 of liquid houseplant fertilizer to hold the plants over for a few days?

ok, think I've answered my own question. Seems from more reading that non-aquarium ferts contain urea which is not a good idea for the aquarium.

I added some more fish food, hopefully that will hold the plants somewhat till Monday.

Back
Top Bottom