Cycling question for planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Fluval Spec V I'm currently cycling. It's fairly heavily planted-- did a dry start with Dwarf Hairgrass and Weeping Moss, and added c. parva, s. repens, c. undulata (yes, I know it'll outgrow the tank), Lysimachia nummularia, Microcarpae minima, and a buce species when I flooded it.

Dosing is almost an every night thing. The plants can take a 2ppm dose of ammonia and the next day it's between .25 and .5 ppm. I'm used to using plants to do what amounts to a fish-in cycle in my large tanks-- plant heavily, seed the filter with established bio-media, and stock extremely slowly. I didn't count on it happening in the 5 gallon. I'm assuming it's the stem plants that's causing the rapid consumption of ammonia.

So. Here's the question. I intend to start with 15-20 neocardina shrimp. Will that produce anywhere near 2 ppm of ammonia? Because I have a feeling that with the rapid processing of ammonia by the plants and the small number of shrimp I'm starting with, the tank is ready to go.

Attachments

• 20210915_204545.jpg
    20210915_204545.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 16
Can't comment for shrimp, but a moderately stocked fish tank will produce nowhere near the equivalent of 2ppm in 24 hours, more like 1ppm. I would imagine a lightly stocked shrimp tank less than that.

Try reducing ammonia dosing to 1ppm and see if its gone in 24 hours.

That's a sound plan. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom