Cycling question for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cycle question,
From early on I have been dosing 4ppm of ammo and it was taking several days to be processed backed to 1ppm, I have been seeing Nitrites for almost 2 weeks. Nitrates are staying low around the 5ppm but im guessing that is because it is a planted tank? Ho long should it take until Nitrites will convert back to 0?

Also Ammonia is going from 4ppm to under 1ppm in under 12 hours so should i does 4ppm every 12 hours?

40g breeder, canister filter, blasting sand substrate, driftwood and rock.
day33.jpg

It's my understanding that ammonia is generally utilized before nitrates because the plants have an easier time using it. Not sure how true that is but I don't have any proof against it.

I would expect things to start speeding up over the next week or so.

I would only dose the ammonia once a day. It isn't going to help anything by adding more than that.

I'll extend the original question with this one.

What is the recommended process to cycle a planted tank?

It's the same thing as cycling without plants... dosing to 4ppm is the general rule of thumb. Then follow the same procedure as you normally would.

It's my understanding that ammonia is generally utilized before nitrates because the plants have an easier time using it. Not sure how true that is but I don't have any proof against it.

This is true, verified by SCIENCE!. It was published in an actual journal.

I would probably back off on the ammonia if your nitrite gets too high. Too much might be toxic to bacteria and stunt your cycle. If your ammonia is rip-roaring along, then you could accumulate a lot of nitrite (1 ppm ammonia = ~3 ppm nitrite). Once established and not under assault from an antibiotic, our beneficial bacteria are pretty tough buggers.

As far as timeline in concerned, I don't even start to worry about a cycle being late until past the two month mark. These things take time.

Back
Top Bottom