Dan's First Journal - Iwagumi Style - GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on all the new stuff.. Just love unboxings...it's like Xmas all over again! I think the shrimp stratum should be a good idea or even that UP Aqua Soil on GLA's site.

Congrats on all the new stuff.. Just love unboxings...it's like Xmas all over again! I think the shrimp stratum should be a good idea or even that UP Aqua Soil on GLA's site.

Well I want something smaller sized and more appealing...the stratum seems to be a good choice since I plan to add some shrimp If I don't get a betta first...I was going to put in some AS Amazonia Powder type but y'all are right it's just too expensive for something I can get for 75% cheaper...so what type of rocks would look good? Gosh I can't decide...where did you get your rocks from? And me neither bevoholic, it's so exciting :D

So what are you planning on for plants?

I was planning on an HC carpet, some blyxa japonica, giant hair grass or a type of micro sword...since I am using DSM to start out the HC and b. japonica cannot be grown using DSM, if I just order all the plants at once could I plant the japonica in my 60g until I'm ready to plant it in the 6g? Or should I just buy it whenever I'm ready for it...

Well I want something smaller sized and more appealing...the stratum seems to be a good choice since I plan to add some shrimp If I don't get a betta first...I was going to put in some AS Amazonia Powder type but y'all are right it's just too expensive for something I can get for 75% cheaper...so what type of rocks would look good? Gosh I can't decide...where did you get your rocks from? And me neither bevoholic, it's so exciting :D

Fluval Shrimp Stratum is my vote then...

As for the stones, i was lucky enough that one of the many LFS by me just so happens to specialize in planted tanks so i was able to select the yamaya stone in-person. If you don't have a local spot, i look at it this way.. You got two options.. You can either order extra stones online from places that sell ADA tanks like ADGShop or adana-usa.com.. Problem is, you'd probably have to order extra because you won't know what pieces you'll get and what would work in your scape. Unless you're willing to chance getting the right pieces. OR, you can order from Ebay where some Sellers post pics of the actual stones you'll be getting (WYSIWYG). Unless you want a very specific stone like Ohko stones, check out Ebay. There's a seller on there sea77777779 that sells some petty decent looking stones.

This one looks good i think....

K22 Aquascaping ADA Seiryu Stone rock aquarium Moss fish plant shrimp--5.5 lbs

URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/K22-Aquasca...-Moss-fish-plant-shrimp-5-5-lbs-/281037408791

Fluval Shrimp Stratum is my vote then...

As for the stones, i was lucky enough that one of the many LFS by me just so happens to specialize in planted tanks so i was able to select the yamaya stone in-person. If you don't have a local spot, i look at it this way.. You got two options.. You can either order extra stones online from places that sell ADA tanks like ADGShop or adana-usa.com.. Problem is, you'd probably have to order extra because you won't know what pieces you'll get and what would work in your scape. Unless you're willing to chance getting the right pieces. OR, you can order from Ebay where some Sellers post pics of the actual stones you'll be getting (WYSIWYG). Unless you want a very specific stone like Ohko stones, check out Ebay. There's a seller on there sea77777779 that sells some petty decent looking stones.

This one looks good i think....

K22 Aquascaping ADA Seiryu Stone rock aquarium Moss fish plant shrimp--5.5 lbs

URL: K22 Aquascaping ADA Seiryu Stone Rock Aquarium Moss Fish Plant Shrimp 5 5 Lbs | eBay

Wow thanks so much for that link- I just bought the seiryu stone from that link lol. I didn't want to wait any longer on getting my hardscape done so I thought it looked good too so I bought it. Should come around the same time as the DW, so I should have a pretty good plan of how I will scape it. Also, the shrimp stratum is sold in 8.8lb. Bags- I should only need one right? And can I use any white sand since I want to make a 'river bed' in my scape?

Wow... didn't think you'd get that one and you'd browse around some... but I thought that was a pretty nice set of stones for Iwagumi (or whatever you'll be doing). I started my as Iwagumi and it went on it's own "nature" scape path I guess...LOL

I think any sand should do... pool filter, play sand, or even caribsea super naturals.

BTW... what DW are you getting?

Wow... didn't think you'd get that one and you'd browse around some... but I thought that was a pretty nice set of stones for Iwagumi (or whatever you'll be doing). I started my as Iwagumi and it went on it's own "nature" scape path I guess...LOL

I think any sand should do... pool filter, play sand, or even caribsea super naturals.

BTW... what DW are you getting?

Oh trust me I browsed around a bit before I actually bought it, but I too figured that one would be best since they are such small stones. Lol same here-I don't think mine is going down the iwagumi path anymore...I kind of butchered that look up :lol: I am using a small piece of DW- I am going to try to make a "tree" with it- I will try to add a link later. I have to find it again :)

Hey Dan are you on TPT too? There's a couple threads on there with the GLA 36-L that you might want to follow just to get more inspiration.

Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build

Ramen Lover's 6G GLA Rimless Low-Tech Iwagumi Style Nano Tank

Yeah I'm on TPT. I just never used my account :lol: Thanks for those links, I will definitely follow them! Oh and my Ray 2 is supposed to come tomorrow, not today :( I think the only other things I need is the shrimp stratum, the ray 2, the stone and DW and I can order the plants and get started!

I don't blame you "some" of the folks on TPT can be tad jaded. I find AA to be a more calm non-judgmental community. Both have their perks.

Well glad to hear things are coming along for you. I can sense a strong disturbance in the force...some major anticipation building! Haha... The question is will you have the patience for DSM? I didn't!

I don't blame you "some" of the folks on TPT can be tad jaded. I find AA to be a more calm non-judgmental community. Both have their perks.

Well glad to hear things are coming along for you. I can sense a strong disturbance in the force...some major anticipation building! Haha... The question is will you have the patience for DSM? I didn't!

:lol: I think I can handle DSM...It should be kinda cool to see the progress on the HC as it grows...and apparently it's the best thing to do and I don't want to make any mistakes this time! So I have like a ka-billion corkscrew vals in my 60g...who wants some? Because its getting to be a jungle back there if I don't take any out lol...

Unboxing - January 10, 2013

Alright, I got 2 new boxes in my mail today....STILL no Ray 2. It was supposed to come 2 days ago! :bawl: Oh well, here are the boxes I got today!

First box!

2co1kcx.jpg

Ohhhh Amazon...wonder what I got from there...(I seriously forgot...I ordered so much :lol: )

29opum8.jpg

Oh! Its red!

2mx26j8.jpg

Ohhhh the Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Lets throw this in the pile of supplies I have so far :D

Second Box!

28iq795.jpg

Ummm...I dont remember ordering beef lo mein... :lol:

10gd194.jpg

And...its a big ball of...plastic...

2s0bwjq.jpg

OH! Its the DW! I thought this one was a good one to make a tree with...you think? Plus its the only one I could find...

2quu3cw.jpg

amvz0l.jpg

So, thats all i got today. So all I need left is the stone, Ray 2, white sand (just ordered), and then I can finally start to scape it and order the HC!

EDIT: Ugh! The pics are still sideways! I reduced their size as much as I could....Oh well. You guys will have to just keep breaking your necks :|

Nice... That DW will make an interesting tree. What type of moss are you going to use?

As for pics being sideways.. Just take the pics in landscape (horizontal) to avoid them uploading like that... Lol

Nice... That DW will make an interesting tree. What type of moss are you going to use?

As for pics being sideways.. Just take the pics in landscape (horizontal) to avoid them uploading like that... Lol

Oh my gosh! I never thought of that! (turning the phone sideways to take the pics) Thanks lol. I want to use xmas moss for the tree...can i use DSM to attach the moss to it? Like I can put the DW in a container and tie the moss to it and wrap some saran wrap around the container and spray inside it once a day so let the moss get attached to the DW well before putting it into the tank? I will be dry starting the HC anyways so why not do that too

I had some moss get into a DSM tank once that seemed to grow fine. At the very least it didn't die, but there wasn't really enough in there to see how much it was growing.

Oh by the way.. I just got Purigen myself and recently read that its not a good idea to use while a tank is cycling. Saw your Purigen in your many boxes of goodies.. Might want to wait to implement it in the filter after it has cycled.

Back
Top Bottom