Dark colored substrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnarlybr02k12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for something inexpensive for the 20g Long I'll be starting soon.
I was going to use Pool Filter Sand but now that I think about it. A black or a very dark substate would make the plants and fish stand out more. I am using this as a caping substate for the dirt I am going to put underneath. I'm looking for something similar to sand that's also not sharp so that my cory can still dig around.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!

gnarlybr02k12 said:
I'm looking for something inexpensive for the 20g Long I'll be starting soon.
I was going to use Pool Filter Sand but now that I think about it. A black or a very dark substate would make the plants and fish stand out more. I am using this as a caping substate for the dirt I am going to put underneath. I'm looking for something similar to sand that's also not sharp so that my cory can still dig around.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!

I use PETCO black sand and its really nice. Not ttoo fine and not too large and very soft

gnarlybr02k12 said:
How much did it cost you? I know Petco/Petsmart can be pretty expensive.

It was 15 bucks for 20 lbs which is probably how much you'll need. Let me find a link...

Agreed with Petco black sand substrate, really looks good and is just a little finer as PFS.

gnarlybr02k12 said:
That seems great! I will have to check it out. Does it get kicked up easily because the sand substate I have now does.

Nope, not at all :)

Probably the same stuff.

Biggest issue with the stuff... It is "greasy" be prepared to wash it very good with hot water, then wash it again.

I used black beauty from Tractor Supply, it was 20/40 and it is the perfect size, not too fine, not gravel. The bag was labeled pre-washed and I didn't find it to have any grease on it at all. I put it in the tank, filled water over it, stirred around, used shop vac to remove cloudy water/floaters and repeated once. Planted plants then filled the tank, very clean, no sand storm.

Probably the same stuff.

Biggest issue with the stuff... It is "greasy" be prepared to wash it very good with hot water, then wash it again.

Yeah I will be spending a good amount of time cleaning it thats for sure!

I used black beauty from Tractor Supply, it was 20/40 and it is the perfect size, not too fine, not gravel. The bag was labeled pre-washed and I didn't find it to have any grease on it at all. I put it in the tank, filled water over it, stirred around, used shop vac to remove cloudy water/floaters and repeated once. Planted plants then filled the tank, very clean, no sand storm.

That sounds awesome but the nearest Tractor Supply is 6hours away from me. Which is a long drive just for substrate.

Yeah, mine said pre-washed also, it was still very dirty. It wasn't greasy like a pan full of bacon grease, just had a greasy film on it. I washed mine with the pillow case method in a pool then ran hot water through it. BTW, I don't recommend washing in a pool unless you are then prepared to clean the pool after. The pool I used had been down for a couple months so was due a good scrubbing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom