Dark spots on new Anubia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenneh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
I have recently switched from gravel - substrate to have a planted aquarium for my 60 Gallon aquarium.
I bought 2 Anubia plants, knowing they were generally easy to care for, especially for a beginner.
I used Flourite substrate all over, but havent use any fertilizer or CO2 system, my tank is cycled and I have plenty of fish.
I keep the light on 8-9 hours a day.
The top leaf of one of the plant I bought developed dark round spots on it.
Anything I can do to save it?
I saw that my bristle nose pleco "sucked" on it once or twice but does not seem too interested in it otherwise.
Anything helps! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_193017.jpg
    IMG_20200214_193017.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 32
It could just be a dead leaf, the rest of the plant looks fine. It'll grow a new one eventually.

Hello Jen...

Species of Anubias are low light plants and naturally slow growing. Sometimes damage to a leaf will happen due to rough handling, lack of a nutrient when it was growing, you name it. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't bury the thick body part (rhizome) under the bottom material, it will grow. It doesn't need more nutrients than those the fish provide. Just feed the fish a variety. I would trim the old damaged leaves. This will stimulate new growth. It needs little attention and is really fish resistant.

B

Back
Top Bottom