Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

"dawn/dusk" and "Moonlight" lighting

I have been thinking about adding a secondary light to my setup. Something in the blue/purple spectrum, almost like a black light but w/o the UV (since I read it's harmful). Also, I want a way to be able to see the fish at various times of day, without having to leave the lights on for 15 hrs a day. Are the Actinic blue lights or LED "moonlights" good for this purpose? I want something that looks good on the fish, but won't cause algae growth (outside what my "normal" light does) and can extend viewing time without lengthening the "day" from the tank/plant/algae perspective.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

MD...

You could put your aquarium lights on a timer. Timers are simple to set and inexpensive. They're available at most hardware stores. I set my tank timers for 12 hours on and 12 off. Fish just need a period of daylight and dusk to reproduce normally.

Unless you keep demanding plants, you don't need high end lighting. Tubes from the hardware store work fine if you keep a basic tank with easy to grow plants. If you don't overfeed the fish and tend to your water changes, your tank will look clear and clean and you won't need to worry about algae growing too much.

B
Old 12-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey bb is back with the hardware store tubes!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes...but at 12 hrs, that means for a large part of the day, I can't actually see the fish because it's dark...
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The LED moonlights should be fine. Will probably involve a new fixture and timer.

Tags
light, lighting, moonlight

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com