de snailing plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently bought some bogwood which I intend to attach java fern to, problem is last time I got live plants I also got an infestation of snails. This time I'm taking no chances so I plan to soak them in water dosed with snailacide.
I'm just wondering if I have to have a full set up to keep them alive for the week or so I'm planning on soaking them for or can I just put them in a bucket?

I kill off any potential freeloaders with a simple salt bath. 30 mins and good to go. No need for a week of waiting.

If you're buying from a reputable seller, they shouldn't have any snails. I had 1 tank overun after buying a plant from petsmart. Never again from there, plants or fish.

Thirty second hydrogen peroxide dip is how I usually go about it. Not sure of the exact ratio so I go half and half dilution. The pops and sizzles heard from this is kinda satisfying. Yes, I know, your thinking "sicko". ;)

Bleach dip will also work. Again, not sure of the ratio but I think it might be 10:1.

My lfs is pretty good but sometimes it's the eggs that you can't see that get ya.
Salt bath sounds good, can you elaborate? Time, amount of salt, etc

Just picked up a couple of plants and the tank they come from was definitely snail infested! So I'm interested in doing the salt bath to get rid I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the details? Salt-water ratio, amount of time to soak them, can I use table salt? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom