Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Death and Rebirth of my 20-Long planted

I was giving my plants a long overdue trimming last week and decided to give them a peroxide dip as well, since there was some BBA and green algae forming on some of the leaves. I wasnt paying as much attention as I probably should've been and I think I left them soaking too long. Either that or the ratio was wrong (I had 4 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide).... or both. Regardless of the why, the end result was all my plants dying except the Lily (which wasn't treated).
This tank has been overgrown with plants for the past year, so needless to say the barren aquascape was super depressing. Also, my poor Harlequin Rasboras were freaking from the lack of cover. So, off to the store I went and got some new plants. I think the new flora will be less demanding when compared to what I used to have, and I'll be interested in seeing how well they'll fill in.

On the left side I have Compacta Amazon Sword (Echinorodus bleheri 'Compacta') with some Crypt Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea) behind it.
On the right side is Rosette Sword (Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica') with some Telanthera (Alternanthera reineckii) running from the back and through the middle of it.
Crypts and Swords are typically pretty straight forward. Other than a quick Internet lookup while at the store, Im not familiar with the Telanthera. I still need to do some more research and would welcome any information/advice from those who have grown it themselves. Im assuming that with its pinkish coloring that some extra iron will be required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	251781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	251782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	251783  

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can't help on the plants but looks nice

Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The telanthera looks like Alternanthera reineckii. It requires medium to bright light and prefers CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's exactly what it is Fresh.
I'd put my lighting in the Medium to Medium-High area, so hopefully I'll be ok with that. Ive been able to grow other light hungry plants with fair success in the past.
Ive got a paintball CO2 set up, plus I dose 1 ml glut daily, so I think I'll be good to go with carbon as well.

Tags
birth, death, eat, long, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com