Deep substrate in new setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm setting up my 55 gallon again and I'm wanting the bottom of the tank to be closer to the lights. How deep could I make my substrate? I intend to use oil dri as the substrate, the light is a 4 bulb odyssea t5 ho fixture using two separate ballasts. I want to plant glosso, swords, and various stem plants that I already in other tanks. I want the substrate deep enough for the swords to thrive and the substrate close enough to allow the glosso to thrive. How deep is too deep, and would there be any problems in the long run from having a substrate five to seven inches deep? Thanks for any advice.

7 inches is pretty deep... you could end up with pockets of anaerobic bacteria growth if you go that deep. If you are dilligent about stirring the substrate up during water changes it would probably be ok though. The deepest I have ever gone is around 4", and I had no adverse affects from that.

How deep do they burrow though(mts). Seems mine don't dig that deep. I still usually see their shells...

Look up freshwater deep sand beds. I've not tried one personally, but it does look plausible. Another option would be to stack something like slate tiles before adding substrate. I've not tried that either but I bet 12 " tiles would be a tight fit in a 55.

jetajockey said:
I've not tried that either but I bet 12 " tiles would be a tight fit in a 55.

they don't fit in my tank. I had to take a half inch off. Luckily my slate tiles broke fairly clean with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

jetajockey said:
Look up freshwater deep sand beds. I've not tried one personally, but it does look plausible.

Very interesting read jeta. I'll be looking deeper into the subject of deep sand beds(no pun intended I swear). Using oildri I wonder if the surface area is enough to keep everything cozy and undisturbed under the surface of the substrate. Slates could help with a couple of inches of the intended height. Thanks for the tip blueberry.

Back
Top Bottom