Desirable hitchhikers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently redid my 40g tank, selling the Africans, removing everything, replacing the substrate, cleaning out the filters and starting over completely,with rocks, driftwood and sand, in anticipation of obtaining some South American puffers. I decided I wanted to cultivate a breeding colony of snails, so I got that in motion and in the meantime decided to plant this tank and let the plants get established, etc.

Mysteriously, at about week 2 I decided to test the water and discovered off the chart nitrIte reading, and about 40 ppm nitrAte. Why? There was nothing rotting in the tank, nothing living in the tank but plants, so I did not figure this out, but did a PWC and after about another week or 10 days the levels came back down to zero nitrIte and trace nitrAte.

That's when I glanced over and saw more debris than you would expect - wait - there are fry in this tank! There are six little wee fish darting around in there, and I have no idea what they might be. Got pics, but my camera can't focus on them and they move very quickly. They are at the very top, where they mostly stay, and the brown specs are powdered food.

Today I can see that their tails are slightly forked, but otherwise they are pretty much clear and could be anything, lol. I will keep you posted as to an ID as they (hopefully) grow and declare themselves. They could be some kind of rasbora that sticks its eggs onto leaves, rather than a fish that scatters eggs, since I did rinse the plants before putting them in the tank.

img_961754_0_9257c83c345f0307014f0588bd022d7d.jpg

sweet bonus. i have several times sent someone plants and found fry in their tank.

I usually rinse plants thoroughly, not wanting what might be hiding in there, but this time I did not do such a good job, but am delighted! How the eggs survived I don't know.

I am going to wait and see what they are, then, assuming they are some sort of tetra/rasbora/danio I will move them to the 150 once I know what they are and they are big enough. It is possible they are some kind of native species, also, which would be very cool.

Then, since I need to build my school of cardinal tetras, obtain a pair of Ancistrus (BN pleco) and obtain some nice wild-type angels in the 150, I decided to use the 40 for a Q-tank to that end. Once the 150 is stocked then I'll get the puffers. By then I will be completely overrun with snails to feed them!

Back
Top Bottom