DHG/Microsword/light wattage Question…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA! I currently am in the process of setting up a Fluval Spec V planted tank and my question is: does anyone know the wattage/output of the stock lights for the Fluval Spec V? I really would like to have a nice grass however I'm very unsure if the lights even powerful enough to keep it happy and growing nicely.
I will be dosing ferts and root tabs for the other planned plants in the tank and depending if I come up with enough money, and get permission from the mother to even set up a Co2 system in the first place, I will attempt to set up a Co2 system. I can't find any straight answer on the wattage of the Spec V's lights so if anyone can help that'd be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

{disregard the microsword part of the title, it's just another plant I would like to have as a grass}

I don't have direct experience with owning a spec v, however I researched it a bit when I considered one for the office. From what I gather from numerous spec v owners is that the stock light isn't that intense and is only suitable for low light tolerant plants at best (ie. Moss, java fern, crypts, anubias, etc.).

If you get some extra money, instead of a co2 system, I'd upgrade the light. I've seen a few Fluval spec v with a Current Satellite LED+ as an upgrade and it looks great. The PAR should be enough for DHG. For co2, you can rig up a DIY co2 generator (sugar/yeast) and/or dose excel (or other Glut alternative, like metricide 14) as the carbon source.

I don't have direct experience with owning a spec v, however I researched it a bit when I considered one for the office. From what I gather from numerous spec v owners is that the stock light isn't that intense and is only suitable for low light tolerant plants at best (ie. Moss, java fern, crypts, anubias, etc.).

If you get some extra money, instead of a co2 system, I'd upgrade the light. I've seen a few Fluval spec v with a Current Satellite LED+ as an upgrade and it looks great. The PAR should be enough for DHG. For co2, you can rig up a DIY co2 generator (sugar/yeast) and/or dose excel (or other Glut alternative, like metricide 14) as the carbon source.

Ok sweet! Yeah I will definitely start readin up on some lights then. Thanks also for the info on the Co2!

Back
Top Bottom