Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, lots of algae, lol....

I just been watching my 75G for a while today, and finding it quite interesting. I think I now know where the eggs are. The bolivians are on the guard, chasing off the Rummy noses and the Serpea Tetras. Even when any of the cories get close, they get chased as well. I just got done feeding, so hopefully this will keep everyone away from the Bolivians for a bit, as they are full now. There is a hole dug right beside the lava cave I put in. I think that's where the eggs are now, as it's heavily guarded. I'm suprised they aren't using the deep dark caves for a better protected area. But they are kind of in the open with the eggs in a pit. Gonna order pizza tonight and watch more, lol.

they need good water flow over the eggs .......maybe that's why they're not using the deep cave.

There's pretty good flow in the caves. They have a small opening on the back side, and when I feed, the way the water circulates, it goes in the front and out the back of the cave.

Just another update:

The 2 Bolivians are still defending their turf. And I do believe that I did see eggs being moved by the 2. But one thing is strange, and that is the only fish that isn't bothered are the German Blue Rams. All the other fish get chased away, even all the cories now. But the GBR's mingle with them no problem. How can this be? This is getting stranger by the minute.

Also, after seeing the GBR's this morning, I'm now not so sure I have all 1 sex. The 2 more colorful ones looked like they were doing some kind of a ritual, and the 3rd one was watching. They were side-by-side, doing kind of a wiggle type of dance or something, facing the opposite directions so the mouth of one fish was tapping the other fish's tail. Kind of hard to describe, but I've never seen that before from them. I'm going to have to use my new camera one of these days and get some real close-ups, to see if others can tell whether they may be males or females, or both. But it was quite the interesting ritual this morning, lasted a good 20 minutes or so.

hi again....

Well, they moved on me again. They are back closer to the cave again, have a hole dug under a val. And I can see eggs, must be a couple hundred. Lots of eggs. And they are using the root system of the val as cover, and the female was fanning right above the pit, providing circulation. :)

Well, I now know that my filter is spitting out O2 and not CO2, lol. I added the new reactor tonight, and CO2 is no longer being fed to the filters input. And my plants are really pearling nicely.

Eco-complete is the size of gravel or sand? i like the look of dark substrate dont know to go with this or moon or pool sand, any suggestions since you guys have these?

It's kind of a mixture of small gravel and sand and dust. Kind of like in a garden.

EDIT:

Hey Everybody, I Got WIGGLERS!!!!!!

Came home from work today and found they moved again. But this time up by the glass. They dug a pit right by my red foxtail. And there's at least a hundred in there, and everything is moving. This is just too cool. Will try to get a picture, but not sure if the glass will interfere.

Here are my pics.......

75g97.jpg

75g98.jpg

75g99.jpg

75g100.jpg

I am currently leaving them with the parents. If they survive, they survive. I'm going to be setting up a breeder tank shortly, so by the next spawning, if these get eaten, then I'll use a turkey baster and suck out the new wigglers and put them into the breeder tank and raise them that way.

talking about photography I suggest to use a bit higher shutter speed than that of 1/60th of a sec, with the higher shutter speed youll also need more lighting, this will stop everything in motion crisp clear like the film cameras capturing the crash test cars in slow motion.

Free swimming...

Well, they are now free-swimming and all over. The parents are doing a great job guarding as well. I got 1 pic here, but will wait til they are a little closer to the glass to get more pics. They were just getting too far back to get a good zoom in on the babies. Click on the picture to get a little better image.

EDIT:

Got more pics for you. They came closer to the glass, so I got some decent shots. Now, if the fish or plants seem blurry, it was meant to be that way. Look for the babies. I was trying to get as close as possible, and manual focused on the babies, not the fish or plants.

75g102.jpg

75g103.jpg

75g104.jpg

75g105.jpg

75g106.jpg

75g107.jpg

75g108.jpg

75g109.jpg

75g110.jpg

Attachments

• 75g101_456.jpg
    75g101_456.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 36
I can't get over how colorful your GBR look. I have only seen a few in person, and yours seem to glow. I just thought i would say that. Congrats on the baby fish!

Back
Top Bottom