Did I just make a huge mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I added 15 lbs of Florite to my 12g nanocube. It didn't settle well at all, the entire tank looked like a big mudpit.

1) How long until it settles down?

2) Won't my filter media be filthy after this?

3) Will the two fish I have in there make it?

Man, this is harder than gravel :?

i dont think your suppose to wash flourite... i dont know for ive never had it. have you tried water changes?

im sure the fish wont mind. personally with some plants i got, my corys have been out a llil more because of the cloudyness lol

A very common problem with flourite Tony. No amount of rinsing seems to control the cloudiness. It will settle after a while and should not harm your fish. I guess that's one reason so many prefer the Eco-Complete. It requires no rinsing and won't cloud the water at all.

No worries. The fine dust in Flourite can cloud a tank for days but many reccomend not washing it because this fine dust provides an excellent substrate boost once it settles. Personally I've always rinsed mine because I don't like the cloudiness, although it is merely cosmetic and won't harm a thing :)

You should absolutely rinse flourite, a few times, before adding it to a tank...and even then it'll cloud up some.

Just checked Seachem's website (one of the best out there if you need product info) and they recommend rinsing Flourite before use because the fine particles can clog filter media. If you've added it before rinsing just keep an eye on your mechanical filtration media and rinse it if it shows signs of becoming fouled.

Laterite also causes a cloudy mess and clogs filters. I learned that the hard way. *grumble*

Did your laterite eventually settle? I kept rinsing mine and it kept clouding in the bucket. Against my better judgement I added it into my existing substrate and now I have a real mess. Very little clearing after 12 hours with a Fluval 404 and AquaClear 50 HOB. :(

Albertan said:
Did your laterite eventually settle? I kept rinsing mine and it kept clouding in the bucket. Against my better judgement I added it into my existing substrate and now I have a real mess. Very little clearing after 12 hours with a Fluval 404 and AquaClear 50 HOB. :(

From my understanding 12 hours is not going to show any improvement it takes several days to start to clear.. according to what other people have posted and what people have said in chat..

Back
Top Bottom