Did some Re-planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have only been into planted tanks since jan? Thats awsome. You, my friend must have an eye for detail (and a green thumb to boot). The looks of your tanks are what we all inspire to achieve.

That is a beautiful tank Glen! Not only is your aquascaping great but (and this is the part I'm amazed at) your plants are nearly perfect looking. Very, very nice work man. I am totally impressed. Are you sure you're a rookie? :p

Yes, I'm a total rookie with planted tanks! I have some experience with plants and an understanding of ferts and soils and their effects in general as I grew bonsai for almost 20 years. Some of those same principals apply to aquatic plants as well. The rest I"m learning here from the generous members of AA, like yourself! I noticed you took a monster plant out of your tank. Though it is very pretty and I have had success growing it, Ammania sennegalinsis just gets to big for my 20 gallon, looks out of scale. It might look good in your 125. If your interested, I'll send you some. No charge.

I havn't posted a shot of this tank in a while, here's how it looks tonight. The Bacopa has tripled in size in a month. I am planning a magor overhaul of the background. Basically everything in the back is coming out, except the Ludwigia palustris and maybe the Bacopa. Might do the back all red the Ludwigia p or mix it up with the bacopa like it is now, only right across the whole back of the tank, not sure yet. Funny thing, The Ludwigia p has done very well, beautiful colour and good growth. All the other Ludwigia species I have tried have all died in this same tank. Repens, Cuba and Arcuata all melted away. There is some Cuba hanging on in here but it is fading fast. Ok growth at first, then gone. Just goes to show you not to get discouraged if a plant won't grow for you. Keep trying others till you find what grows in your tank, then load up with it!

Looks awsome Glenc. Your tank is looking great. Can't wait to get my last 2 10G tanks so I can move my babies and begin the 10G planted tanks. But the current breeder tank needs a good cleaning before adding the Eco to it and planting. I also got a 2nd 250 model of the filter/heater, so both planted tanks will have it in the corner. But still haven't decided on how to inject the CO2 yet. But again, great looking tank. It's looking awsome. (y)

Yet another update! If you all get sick of me, tell me to get lost!! Here is the tank after trimming, removing and re-planting. I am going to keep the background lower this time, taller than is it in the pic but not much. Want a dense, tight look. I've let it get to tall in the past, think it just looks messy. Hopefully the reds and greens will blend nicely.

Came home tonight to see that 3/4 of my HC at the front of the tank had floated up and was flapping in the filter current. :( My wife even called me at work to tell me something was very wrong with my tank. I was expecting it. It was only a matter of time. Kind of a drag as this nice green carpet has been in this tank since the start and was definitely part of the tanks appeal. Oh well, time to try something else :) I removed all the HC which was still healthy, I smelled the roots expecting to find rot, they smelled clean. Good news. I have it bagged up and am giving it away. Sorry guys, it's all spoken for! I will post on barter soon as my 10 gallon is getting to thick and I don't want all that HC to do the same thing! Here's a couple of shots during and after the clean up. I have planted glosso in place of the HC. Wanted to try something different. Hopefully my yoyo's won't dig it up! Wish me luck. :)

Attachments

• picture_744_908.jpg
    picture_744_908.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
  • picture_744_908.jpg
    picture_744_908.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 23
Is there a good way to prevent this from happening? This happens because the new growth kills off the lower levels of the mat?

Not really. My experience with all carpets has been that they need to be replanted every two months or so. It all depends on the type of carpet plant you're using. ET is probably the worst 6-7 weeks between replantings. Glosso will go longer. That's why I'm using Downoi now. Problem is it takes 2-3 months just to grow in :(

Also, you can carefully cut out sections of the carpet to buy a little time with running plants, but this will also often mess up the substrate line. Trade-offs.

Back
Top Bottom