Did some Re-planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol u guys send them in cassette tapes? i sent plants to a member all the way in texas and just sent it in a normal box. i just labelled the box as used aquarium goods. got there fine with no complications.

I think Jchillin was talking about the Black Ops tactics they were planning to use to acquire plants from GlenC. Mission Unplantable: III "This tape and corresponding box of plant clippings will self-destruct in 5....4....3....2....1...BOOM !Splat!

Glen, FWIW when I was at AquaForest San Francisco, they had C. parva in one of their display tanks that looked a lot like yours. I think all crypts tend to get real full when left alone and given the chance to mature. The stuff you sent me grows flatish as expected of C. parva, but has not gotten near as bushy yet. I'm pretty sure the stuff I got as C. willisii isn't C. willisii so am no help really :) 2 cents.

i have both c willisi and the c parva that glen gave me and they are completly different. the c willisi grows up ward aswell as out. and the leaves are longer. i am pretty sure that the stuff glen has is c.parva. u saw the difference glen.... whast your opinion?

Hey mr.funktastic, when I was at your place I thought the Willisii you had looked alot like my parva! It's what first made me wonder if I indeed had parva. I may get some Parva from Aquariumplants.com. Only problem is they never seem to have it in stock. Most of the sellers on Aqua bid don't ship to Canada. A recommended seller there Lowcaster has Parva, but does not ship to Canada. Once I get some from a reliable source I'll compare it to what I have, just for piece of mind. In the meantime, the crypt I have is very pretty and growing really well. One of the few consistent healthy plants I can count on to always look good. I'll keep it either way :)

from my visual comparison it is not the same as my willisi. it have fewer leavs and grow more outward then up. i am 99% positive that it is parva. i will posta pic of my willisi and maybe we can do a comparison.

Hey all, I got a good look at some Willisii and am pretty sure it's Parva that I have. My Parva has grown quite large, must be happy! Here are a couple of shots of the tank tonight, glosso is filling in as well as the L palustris. So far so good. Put another 20 wts on the tank for the heck of it. Probably flirting with disaster, only way to learn! :)

Attachments

• picture_840_191.jpg
    picture_840_191.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 46
  • picture_830_114.jpg
    picture_830_114.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
LOL...sorry Glen but to illustrate a point, I just showed your tank pics to my wife and after she picked her jaw up off the floor, she said it was beautiful. :) Now I am my own worst enemy, the progression to high-light may not be that far off. :wink:

Man, the all L. palustris background is striking. It makes the tank. I love what you've done with shades of green and how it stands out in front of the L. palustris -- I like this so much more than the redder colors. It's so... elegant. Classy. I can't wait to see how you fill it in.

I would love - love - to accomplish a layout like yours. It is educational to see how you're exploring what was already an inspirational 'scape. Thanks for the updates!

stunning! once the pink fills in a bit thicker at the back and your glosso finishes its carpet i think u should enter it into a contest. i seriously think u have a winning chance with it. with the extra 20 watts how much light does that put u at? how did u change your dosing to compensate?

Hey Jchillin, you probably will do the high light thing, it's a little faster ride, but you'll be awesome at it. :) Look at the tank you've done with low light! I took a chance on the all red background, looks like it's gonna be ok, turning out better than I thought. It's all trial and error as far as plant choices go, I'm really working with what grows and colours up for me. Keep trying different plants, once I figure they'll grow for me, I try to arrange size and colour later. Rarely have I put a plant in one spot and left it there. The Crypt parva is probably the only exception. It still in the same two spots since day one. I've had lots of failures, just don't show them to you! With the extra 20 watts on the tank I figure I'm at 5.5 wpg. Why? Why not. Got to push the limits to figure out what they are. I have not adjusted my dosing yet. I'll monitor the tank over the next few days to see how much extra ferts it going to eat, then I'll up what I have to to keep it balanced. If it's to wild a ride, I'll remove the extra light. Thanks for the comments guys, this tank would not exist if not for all your help and advice. Thank you! :D

The extra light has made fert balancing a bit more challenging but the extra growth and colour are worth it. L palustris is a brilliant red-pink and the glosso has gone nuts. Going to trim the L palustris to hug the green plant line closer, getting bigger than I want it. So far so good :)

Attachments

• picture_951_536.jpg
    picture_951_536.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 93
Your tank is amazing. Between the health and color of the plants and the arrangement, it's simply breath taking. You're entering this in the AGA contest right? If not you really, really should.

Too many expletives: :taped: Awesome Glen.

More pics!

wow i need to go to your place and see that in person. u got to see mine which was pretty sad looking at the time so i should get tp see yours!!! i love that plant at the back. the colour is amazing. very similiar to the l.repens rubin u gave me actually. a bit pinker though. i definatly think u should enter it into the AGA contest. u should try moving your light back a bit so the L palustris doesnt have to stretch to the middle. but then again the stretching effect does look cool. your glosso is doing better than mine lol. i have some spreading but nothing compared to yours.

Back
Top Bottom