Difference between Flourish and ADA Soil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

is there a significant difference between plant growth in ADA Aquasoil (Amazonia, etc) and Flourish? Any experience with the two?

Thanks,
-Josh

Basically with Flourish, you are adding fertilizers to the water column on a daily basis. With Aquasoil you are initially providing nutrients through the substrate, but will eventually need to start fertilizing the water column. I have not had a chance to use Aquasoil yet, but I've heard that the growth is amazing especially when growing carpet plants like HC.

i have only used eco-complete which is like the aquasoil i believe. i like it and it has worked really well for me.

What if the substrate is already down. Would I need to start over? What can I do instead? Are the tabs enough? I hate the tabs, they dissolve so quickly getting them into the gravel and get under my fingernails. Is there an alternative?

What substrate are you talking about? If its Seachem flourish or Carrib Sea eco-complete, you shouldn't have to do anything. If it is an inert substrate like regular gravel or sand then you can use plant tablets (will work for the rosette plants). Most plants take up nutrients through the water column so you don't need to put tablets down unless your plants don't agree with what they are getting in the water column.

An alternative is to relocate your plants into a pot filled with the proper substrate and then bury the pot underneath your existing substrate.

Please note that Flourish is a fertilizer and not a substrate. Fluorite on the other hand is a substrate.

I have a tank with Flourite and a tank that has Aquasoil and Eco Complete (I know...interesting :) ). I have pretty much the same plant growth with each one. I like Aquasoil for its pH lowering effects...it contains peat in it. I have it in my 40g topped with Eco Complete now. I don't feel like it is for beginners though because it leaches ammonia for the first 3-4 weeks and while its good for cycling a tank, you have to know what you are dealing with so you don't add fish to that. It also has some serious tannins for awhile.

All 3 substrates contain nutrients, just a varied amount of each. I would recommend any of them to someone who has had planted tanks before or to someone who researches Aquasoil before they use it.

Something to note is that after a couple years Aquasoil tends to break down a little on top and you get a dust on top of the substrate. But you can do some aggressive gravel vacuuming and get rid of that. Also, it clouds really easily (its like clay) and any rearranging or serious planting causes the tank to be cloudy.

I used to swear by Aquasoil, but I've realized that Eco and Flourite are just easier to work with IME and have pretty much the same results in plant growth.

Last edited:
I find that eco-complete also breaks down and leaves the fine sand particle on top.

Flourite is such a hassle because it needs to be rinsed out. I can't believe that they state on the bag that is pre-washed.

eco and flourite have ok CEC but not much nutrients to start with, mostly some trace minerals. ADA stuff while pricey is the only one with real nutrients. the amazon 2 is known to break down more then the other stuff. i have used it its not cheap and a little hard to find but works great more so for heavy root feeders. its not a must by any means and there are some down sides to it.

What an education. Thanks for posting all the information. I'm using Fluorite in my tank and so far results are pretty good. Time to start researching ferts though.

Back
Top Bottom