Different kind of plant ID !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks, here's a question that is a little different !

Could anyone recommend a plant that looks like this grass growing on the side of my street ! :lol:

Seriously, I've seen pics of aquariums that have something very similar to this. My son and I are setting up a little planted 10 gallon to get him into the hobby and I thought a plant like this ( wide leaves, but stays short ) would look really cool. I have eco-complete and a Finnex Fugeray but am trying to stay away from CO2. I have that in my big tank and I don't want to overwhelm him with too much at first !

Thanks for any advice and/or plant names ...

Jim
412664476.jpg
[/IMG]

Pygmy chain swords might be one you like? Pretty easy to grow but u might need co2 to get that carpet affect (if that's what your after)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Blyxa japonica, can be seen in the back left of my tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1468450937750.jpg
    1468450937750.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 69
I just tossed out a bunch of Japonica Brookster ! Had it in my 29 and that stuff would grow nice, then totally self-destruct and tear itself out of the substrate and shed entire sections !! It looked cool though when it was ' doing the right thing' !
I've seen the chain swords. If I could get the wider leaf version it would be cool. The stuff I've had has always had a narrow leaf. Not looking for a carpet plant, just a highlight surrounding a large Dragon Stone.

Just did a little more poking around and found these. Not sure if it's ok to post links to other sites, so I'm just going to post the name.Looks very similar to the pic above.

Broadleaf Sagittariya (Sagittaria platyphylla).

THANK YOU for your input !! Keep an eye out !

I just tossed out a bunch of Japonica Brookster ! Had it in my 29 and that stuff would grow nice, then totally self-destruct and tear itself out of the substrate and shed entire sections !! It looked cool though when it was ' doing the right thing' !
I've seen the chain swords. If I could get the wider leaf version it would be cool. The stuff I've had has always had a narrow leaf. Not looking for a carpet plant, just a highlight surrounding a large Dragon Stone.

Just did a little more poking around and found these. Not sure if it's ok to post links to other sites, so I'm just going to post the name.Looks very similar to the pic above.

Broadleaf Sagittariya (Sagittaria platyphylla).

THANK YOU for your input !! Keep an eye out !

Oh you break my heart! I think lots of people would have paid postage for you to mail it. (Me?)

Here is broad leaf chain sword (Echinodorus quadricostatus) in a 20g under a Finnex FugeRay and DIY CO2. Under the right conditions it is very prolific plant.
eINIdDF.jpg

dwarf sagittaria
dwarf vallisneria aka nana
Cryptocoryne parva
of course dwarf hairgrass
Narrow leaf Java Fern (grows on DW and Rocks not planted below sand)
LOTS of possibilities from low light to high light.

dwarf sagittaria
dwarf vallisneria aka nana
Cryptocoryne parva
of course dwarf hairgrass
Narrow leaf Java Fern (grows on DW and Rocks not planted below sand)
LOTS of possibilities from low light to high light.

True Dwarf Sag is cool too. It stays short in low tech.

True Dwarf Sag is cool too. It stays short in low tech.

I've had true and "not so true" dwarf sag. The latter grew to the top of my 20g long. The former stayed short indoors. I've have some living outdoors in my pond for the last 3 years.

That pic is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for Fresh20 ! I just planted some Dwarf Ag in my 29 that i'm hoping stays under two inches !!.Now i'm kind of worried !!

Definitely looking into that chain sword !!

THANKS folks !!

That pic is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for Fresh20 ! I just planted some Dwarf Ag in my 29 that i'm hoping stays under two inches !!.Now i'm kind of worried !!

Definitely looking into that chain sword !!

THANKS folks !!

The tank is 12" just to give some perspective. The broadleaf chain swords would send out multiple runners each week. I only wanted a few in a particular area of the tank so I snipped each runner as they appeared. The chain sword, which usually stayed around 3-4" tall, grew taller (I'm thinking because no energy was spent on feeding the runners) and reached the top of the tank.
They appreciate decent lighting and a carbon source.

Back
Top Bottom