Diffusing turbulent flow from HOB filter (Emperor 400)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need creative ideas to diffuse the turbulent flow from an Emperor 400, please? A canister isn't in the budget now.

I had the same problem on an AC50 in my heavily planted 29g. The flow would toss my tall plants all crooked when they got tall. I made the baffle as in the video posted above and it works GREAT! OS.

That's a great idea BUT, it's pushing the clean water right back into the intake. Hmmmm

If you cut the bottle to make it loop under the filter output it pushes the water out towards the sides. One problem the idea does have is a lack of surface agitation.

I use the plastic guards that come with glass tops...simply cut them to size to fit the inside lip of the hob output&clip into place..works great,I'll post a pic after work later...

@ Tiger- I've done one better. I've scored the plastic and bent it to 45* and it remains attached to the glass hood.

I have the same filter. And I have no problem With turbulence. I guess my wl is so high it dosent shoot off the deflector as much. Try raising ur wl

Take a piece of PVC tubing (about 1 inch in diameter) and cut it in half. Put it under the discharge return and you will achieve enough diffusion to give you what you are looking for. You can also get a filter brick used in sump filters (3-5 bucks) and this will give you the same result. Simple yet effective.
D

Thanks. My problem has been solved with my modification.

Back
Top Bottom