dirt for dirted tank? Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortuantely not. This is a compost based soil and has a bunch of additives you don't want in your aquarium. You'll need miracle gro "organic choice" or any other soil which is 100% organic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortuantely not. This is a compost based soil and has a bunch of additives you don't want in your aquarium. You'll need miracle gro "organic choice" or any other soil which is 100% organic.

Yeah I kinda figured. Honestly it kind of discouraged me to try the whole dirted thing for the first time. I still consider myself a beginner and I fully understand patience is a big key when it comes to a dirted tank and honestly since I plan on being away from my tanks sometime in the summer, I don't think it's the best route for me. Thanks for the help man

Last edited by a moderator:
check the ingredients list. There are a lot of different types of "dirt" that will work. The old suggestion of the miracle grow organic choice dirt was great; but they seem to have discontinued that exact product. What was good about that old miracle grow stuff was what was listed in the ingredients. Yes you want organic; but thats quite vague. The important stuff in there was "poultry litter" (chicken poop) as opposed to cow manure found in many organic dirts. You could even use a brand of dirt that has cow manure; but you'll likely get ammonia spikes at the beginning that you'll have to wait out before adding fish. You can also mineralize dirt right from your own backyard (and/or purchase mineralized topsoil). THe process basically involves spreading out a bunch of dirt real thin on something like a tarp. Then you get it wet, mix it up, and let it dry out. Now repeat many many times and you've got mineralized top soil that should work perfect for a dirted tank.

John Innes do a very good 100% organic soil which others have used in dirted setups. I'm just not sure if and where they sell it in the states.

Here is an option - he's a great guy. I'm not a dirt tank person due to the amount of cloudiness one gets when moving things, since I move my stuff around a lot.

Once you are on his email list he sends lots of emails, and likes to offer to sell lots of stuff, so be forwarned.

But he has great plants and grows things well. (Dustin visited and spoke at our Colorado Aquarium Society meeting a while back, and enjoyed meeting him.)

Dustin’s Dirt | Dustin's Fishtanks

Back
Top Bottom