Dirt in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm helping my cousin set up a 5 gallon planted tank and for the substrate I'm thinking about using potting soil. What are some tips or advice you can offer regarding the use of soil or dirt in a planted tank?

1 - make a ring around the bottom of your tank with your substrate of choice. If youre using sand get it wet first.
2 - add the dirt inside the ring of sand and moisten it slightly.
3 - cap with substrate. Use something pointy like a chopstick and stab it down to help get rid of air bubbles.
4 - keep a close eye on parameters after you add water.

avoid any soil with fertilizers. Even if you have something like Miracle Grow Organic be sure to rinse and drain a few times as well as remove large pieces :) Enjoy!

avoid any soil with fertilizers. Even if you have something like Miracle Grow Organic be sure to rinse and drain a few times as well as remove large pieces :) Enjoy!
Rinsing and draining will just make mud and you will lose all the dirt. The main reason for using dirt is that it adds nutrients for the plants. You want that fertilizer.

My understanding when setting up El Natural or Walstad tank with soil is to use organic or top soil without added commercial fertilizers. When using soil with ferts there is a high risk of algae. I have setup several "dirt" tanks in this way and I had algae only when using MGrow Organic without culling large pieces and rinsing (carefully, as you are correct you can lose the dirt you want;) When using top soil without added ferts - no algae. The nutrients are still in the soil regardless of no added commercial ferts. The mud is fine and is then "pillowed" in the substrate gravel that is up along the sides and caps it on top :)

My understanding when setting up El Natural or Walstad tank with soil is to use organic or top soil without added commercial fertilizers. When using soil with ferts there is a high risk of algae. I have setup several "dirt" tanks in this way and I had algae only when using MGrow Organic without culling large pieces and rinsing (carefully, as you are correct you can lose the dirt you want;) When using top soil without added ferts - no algae. The nutrients are still in the soil regardless of no added commercial ferts. The mud is fine and is then "pillowed" in the substrate gravel that is up along the sides and caps it on top :)
http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-O...iption_secondary_view_pageState_1433958881810

This is what is most commonly recommended for dirted tanks.

Notice the description in which compost and manure is added into it.

The most recommended way to get rid of the large bits is screening rather than rinsing. A frame with a mesh screen where you sift all the dirt through it. Rinsing is just gonna make a mess.

Thank you Mebbid, you are correct ? Screening works much better. Another tip is to plant heavy with fast growing plants such as sag, Val, swords, crypts oh there are others but can't think of them right now lol

Back
Top Bottom