Dirt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjdave

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I have a 29gl that is cycled but I have to move it in the room it's in. I want to go live plants. I heard a dirt tank is the way to go but I am a little confused about what kind of dirt to buy. I heard it needs to be organic 100per cent. A brand a type would be appreciated. Thanks for the information. David

Hi all. I have a 29gl that is cycled but I have to move it in the room it's in. I want to go live plants. I heard a dirt tank is the way to go but I am a little confused about what kind of dirt to buy. I heard it needs to be organic 100per cent. A brand a type would be appreciated. Thanks for the information. David

You can do live plants in anything. I Have mine in gravel. Im currently setting up a dirted 55 topped with pool filter sand. Im ALSO currently building a plan to scrap the first plan.
I honestly dont think the dirt is needed and makes a mess.
Im going to take the surviving plants from the tank, clean them and put them aside. I am then removing the sand and dirt and refilling with black diamond.
I had a nice bag but gave it to my buddy for his tank opting myself to use the pool sand because I wanted the white look. Bad idea.

The more I read to dirted tanks become a hassle when needing to move or remove plants for various reasons.

If you must do it use miracle grow organic potting soil.

Miracle Gro 16 Qt Organic Choice Potting Mix (72986510) - Soil & Conditioners - Ace Hardware

I would still like to try a dirted tank but I think I Will do it on my 5 gallon puffer. Nothing above 10 gallons in the future.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with dirt either. If you plan on going low tech, no special substrate is really needed. If you plan on getting a more advanced setup, there are plenty of nice substrates out there that are cleaner than dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Generally if you go with a dirt substrate, it is recommended to cap it with some sort of gravel or other substance to keep it in place. Any type of natural organic potting soil will work, however it also generally recommended to mineralize (i.e. soak and dry the soil) a number of times to reduce ammonia levels and prevent ammonia spiking which can occur if you just add the organic soil.

Dirt is a great substrate as far as the plants are concerned. I definitely would agree that mineralised soil is the way to go. I would always do that in future. Also you will want to ensure good water circulation and oxygenation by having good surface ripple as the bacterial breakdown of nutrients requires lots of oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom