Dirted tank advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a small 10g with plenty of plants in it. It pretty much low tech. I got low to medium light plants in it at this time. Now I'm looking to go for something bigger.

I have my eye on a 40g long and have checked out some T5s, and I want this to be right the first time. I want to go with a Dirted tank with possibly a substrate on top of the dirt.

Any tips, links to articles, and advice welcome. If you don't like Dirted let me know why. I want as much information as possible.

Thanks in advanced.

Well I don't have experience with dieted tanks but I considered it before. You will need a cap of sand and when planting it if you aren't careful you may get dirt on top which is a pain. I've heard its a pain at first but if you do it right it works well.

Well I don't have experience with dieted tanks but I considered it before. You will need a cap of sand and when planting it if you aren't careful you may get dirt on top which is a pain. I've heard its a pain at first but if you do it right it works well.

I have thought about that. I am thinking

I have 2 dirted tank and don't have a problem with them. Just a 1" layer of organic soil and 2" of sand. Be careful when pulling plants up.
Any dirt that gets on top of the substrate can easily be vacced out of the tank.

I have 2 dirted tank and don't have a problem with them. Just a 1" layer of organic soil and 2" of sand. Be careful when pulling plants up.

Any dirt that gets on top of the substrate can easily be vacced out of the tank.

Good advice. As far as aesthetics go what looks better in your opinion black or white sand. I plan on looking up a bunch of pictures before making up my mind.

Also what works better, small grain or larger grain sand?

Good advice. As far as aesthetics go what looks better in your opinion black or white sand. I plan on looking up a bunch of pictures before making up my mind.

Also what works better, small grain or larger grain sand?

For color of sand, I guess that depends on the color of your fish. In general black sand will bring out fish quite well as well as a black background. However its fairly expensive to get a good black sand. black diamond blasting sand works as long as you don't have / want fish like Cory cats.

As for grain, small grain works but keep it within reason. I've had super fine grain sand and my plants didn't do too well but pool filter sand works.

For color of sand, I guess that depends on the color of your fish. In general black sand will bring out fish quite well as well as a black background. However its fairly expensive to get a good black sand. black diamond blasting sand works as long as you don't have / want fish like Cory cats.

As for grain, small grain works but keep it within reason. I've had super fine grain sand and my plants didn't do too well but pool filter sand works.

I do plan on having Cory's, and kuhli loaches. So I'll stay away from the blasting sand.

Ok so I made the commitment and bought te 40 gallon long. All I need it to build a stand and make my final decision on my substrate. I'm leaning towards the pool filter sand, but I think the white sand will look nicer. Still open to suggestions on that.

So I'm going from this,

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405356638.039392.jpg

to this.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405356698.422332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone have any suggestions at all, rather it be type the plants to add or placement of plants, I would be happy to hear them. And thanks for the previous advice.

For plants you have to base it off your lighting. If your doing dirt then great. I have all my tanks dirted and its awesome. I would reccomend mixing laterite in with your dirt. It is a type of clay that contains iron which is really good for plants. You can get a 5 pound box of amaco red clay on amazon for 15 bucks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

For plants you have to base it off your lighting. If your doing dirt then great. I have all my tanks dirted and its awesome. I would reccomend mixing laterite in with your dirt. It is a type of clay that contains iron which is really good for plants. You can get a 5 pound box of amaco red clay on amazon for 15 bucks.

I will be using high output T-8's. Can you give me some more information about the clay, like how much to use, and is it available at Home Depot, or Lows?

Also, how often should the lights be replaced. I have heard mixed information. I think the most people say watch the plant growth, and when I slows replace the lights.

You wont be able to get it at home depot or lowes. You can get api brand laterite at your lfs but its more expensive than just buying the amaco red clay on amazon. If you go with the amaco clay then you should use about 2 pounds

2 lb for a 40 gallon long? Also so they sell it at petco or petsmart? I don't have an amazon account, but I guess it's about time to get one.

Ya id make one. The clay on amazon is gonna be the best deal. It would be like 13 bucks at petsmart or petco and you would use the whole box.

And yes they reccomend 1 pound for every 20 gallons. AMACO Mexican Self-Hardening Clay, 5-Pound, Red by AMACO http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009RLJZE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_UMbXtb041KR3W heres the link to it. It comes wet so what i do is weigh as much as i need and put it on a lid and set it in the sun to dry. When it dry i smash it up with a hammer and mix it with the dirt. You dont need to use exactly 2 pounds. I used about a pound an a half in a 20 gal long

Does Amazon have any good aquarium sand? I tried searching, but I seem to only be finding small bags.

Does Amazon have any good aquarium sand? I tried searching, but I seem to only be finding small bags.

Pool filter sand is great for aquariums. You can get 50lb bags of it at menards for around $10

Pool filter sand is great for aquariums. You can get 50lb bags of it at menards for around $10

I am leaning towards that, but I like the look of the white sad. I don't know if I can get white pool filter sand.

Back
Top Bottom