Dirted tank - plant before or after cap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a small dirted tank. I'm still working on my plant list and don't really have time to get them this weekend, but I want to get the tank cycling, so I'd like to fill it up. I see a lot of recommendations that I cap AFTER adding the plants. I'm a little confused by that because if I plant heavily, it seems like it would be hard to get the sand/gravel in around the plants nicely. I'd really like to cap the dirt now and just cycle the tank empty. Am I going to encounter a lot of future irritations if I do this?

Thanks!

I planted after the cap was in place and didn't have a problem. It probably doesn't matter.

Not quite the same, I did a flourite with pool filter sand cap, planted in flourite basically dry, added moist cap after, then flood.. No clouding whatsoever...

Yeah I just want to try flooding it now before I plant, IF that will work. I want to make sure the teeny filter I got can handle the ammonia load of the miracle gro soil. Just not ready to plant, I have to decide what I can steal from my 90 and 10g first to propagate it. So I'd love to be able to add the plants later on, but I won't if it's going to be a huge pain.

Thank you vexxiang for your input on this btw!

If planting after the cap is in place was an issue then there would be major flaws with the entire dirted tank process... How would you manage trimming or adding plants? :) I've planted both of my dirted tanks post cap without any issues.

If planting after the cap is in place was an issue then there would be major flaws with the entire dirted tank process... How would you manage trimming or adding plants? :) I've planted both of my dirted tanks post cap without any issues.
I suppose that makes sense :p
Yay well then, I'll cap it tomorrow and fill it up.

I ordered this tiny little filter for it and it's basically the smallest thing I've ever seen. I can fit in a bitty 1"x1.5" sponge and literally 9 ceramic bio beads from my aquaclear 20. But it will be enough for a shrimp tank with lots of plants, after I get over any initial ammonia spikes from the soil decomp.

Back
Top Bottom