Dirted tanks/ soil bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read in several threads on various forums that a shovel full of topsoil from your yard contains more nitrifying bacteria that you'll ever grow in your filter.

Just read an article that supports that idea...though not directly related to the nitrogen cycle.

I'm not making any scientific claims, just putting out some food for thought.

"The entire history of eukaryotes (from amoeba to human) fits on one single, thin twig. This solidifies the notion that eukaryotes and archaea are closely related. But bacteria make up most of the tree’s branches. And*a lot*of the diversity exists right under our*noses: “Meadow soil is one of the most microbially complex environments on the planet,”*asserts Dr. Laura Hug, one of the researcher in the study"

There's a Revised "Tree Of Life," And It Has 1000+ New Species

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I certainly wish more plant people would think beyond the nitrogen cycle with more of an eye to biology than chemistry. We could start to be less uptight about chelates and "insoluble" compounds like Calcium or Iron Phosphates. There's a whole truck load of cool bacteria out there ready and waiting to help.

Back
Top Bottom