Disaster! Plant recovery from alcohol and slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm devastated... Nearly all my fish were killed last night when the powerhead I was using to distribute co2 bubbles got clogged and sucked most of the yeast/alcohol from my 2liter bottle into the tank. I managed to rescue 2 fish who are now in the QT but everyone else is dead. The tank is heavily planted with a variety of plants, which I'd like to try to save.

I drained 100% of the water and refilled it, and cleaned out all the filters and restarted them. I also put in some carbon. Everything is covered in slime, which I assume is from the poor fish. I assume this is essentially organic waste at this point and will be broken down by the biofilter once it re-establishes.

Is there anything I need to do at this point other than seek psychological counseling?

I'm sorry for your loss, friend. I don't know if there's anything more you can do with your tank. Maybe do more water changes. That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else can help you with it. You should maybe try a paintball co2 setup( depends on how big your tank). Then you don't have to worry about accidents like this.

Sorry for your loss. Were you using a gas separator/bubble counter between the 2 liter bottle and aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom