Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Discoloured plants

Can anyone advise me why my plants are black at the ends? I only have platy in and as there are frequently new additions despite removing some I try to keep the numbers down as itís only a 14 gallon tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	C28F94D3-F536-48B0-9E6F-F12798AC5F7D.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	322560

Old 01-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Black spots on java ferm like that can be caused by a nitrogen deficiency. Also possibly leaf burn from too much light. It does look quite close to the surface. Can you turn down the light intensity or move the plant further away from the light fixture?
Old 01-02-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice, not sure I can turn the light down as it only has that or the blue light and there are some fry in there which I thought needed the light. Sorry Iím a complete novice and canít seem to get it all right despite having a few generations of fish
Old 01-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

You could try sticking strips of black tape over the light fitting at that end. So its like hit and miss. That will reduce the light output above where the plant is.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aiken Drum, would that be black electrical tape? I would like to lessen the intensity of some bulbs around here but don't want to use something that will either melt from bulb heat or release gluey chemicals into the water.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADsnail View Post
Aiken Drum, would that be black electrical tape? I would like to lessen the intensity of some bulbs around here but don't want to use something that will either melt from bulb heat or release gluey chemicals into the water.
Its not something ive actually done. Just something ive seen recommended a time or two.

Eg. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ml#post3565024

If it where me i would go with duct tape as its water and heat resistant. Electrical tape is just heat resistant. But people use electrical tape just fine.

Tags
colour, plant, plants, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com