discus in plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mastershake

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all new to freshwater, kinda, and i was wondering, id really like to have a discus in a planted tank, and was wondering what is the minimum size tank, and will it just mow down the plants?

I've heard they prefer densely planted tanks. A 55's probably preferable for one or a couple. I'm sure you could get away with less.

Discus do not do well by themselves. If you get just one and put it in a planted tank, it will either hide all the time or die from stress-they are a schooling fish. That being said, discus do no harm to plants, mine spawn on them. It is commonly said that it is best to start with 5-6 smaller discus in a bare minimum of a 55g.

A good resource for considering discus in a planted tank is Barron's Discus Fish book.

If you have any other questions, there are a few dedicated discus keepers here, we can offer advice or direct you to sources.

Kevin

I ama dedicated planted tank discus keeper.

I would say grow 5 discus out in a 29 gallon bare bone tank with daily W/C's of 50%. THe only thing in the tank should be, 1 or 2 big sponge filters, a heater or two, and HOB filter (if you want). Get ahold of some CBW's or hikari blood worms to start them off. Then incorperate some flake or bit into there diet. I use Tetra color bits. I would feed them atleast 3 times a day using color bits at two of the feedings. Then vacum up the extra food and do your W/C

In the mean time get you planted tank Perfect and I mean Perfect. THe water parm's have to be really really good. THese fish require highly clean water. I do 50% W/C twice a week on my 55 gallon planted tank. Make sure your plants are heathy and strong because a dieing plant can lead to a nitrate spike and an amonia spike which is a no no in a discus tank. I guess I am trying to say just keep your water overly clean and you will have happy fish. If you have any specific question PM me.

Back
Top Bottom