Diy aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Nowhere

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has any one here used led strip lights to make an aquarium light? I just made one with blue leds for a moon light but I'm curious if any one has done it for there main light source. Also would it grow plants?

It's seems like a cheap alternative to regular aquarium lighting.

Here's an example of some lights

Amazon.com: eTopTrade Waterproof 16.4Ft 5050 RGB and Cool White Mixed Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Light 300 LEDs with 40key Multi-funtion RGBW LED Strip Remote Controller + 12V5A Power Supply 2014 New: Musical Instruments

Has any one here used led strip lights to make an aquarium light? I just made one with blue leds for a moon light but I'm curious if any one has done it for there main light source. Also would it grow plants?

It's seems like a cheap alternative to regular aquarium lighting.

Here's an example of some lights

Amazon.com: eTopTrade Waterproof 16.4Ft 5050 RGB and Cool White Mixed Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Light 300 LEDs with 40key Multi-funtion RGBW LED Strip Remote Controller + 12V5A Power Supply 2014 New: Musical Instruments
Well it has 3 1/2 stars in the reviews! I have also seen something like this on Current-USA's website. I'm not sure I trust it though. I would probably just put some 6500K CFLs with big reflector domes on top of the tank. CFLs work pretty good from what I have seen.

My inexpensive CFL light solution

The problem it's the reviews are for about 7 difrent products which people didn't read that they don't all come with power suplies and have bad reviews. People that did read gave it 5 stars.

Here's a pic with the blues I just set up, these are only blue and not the lights I posted above

Cost about 15$

Attachments

• 1403826392663.jpg
    1403826392663.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 78
The problem it's the reviews are for about 7 difrent products which people didn't read that they don't all come with power suplies and have bad reviews. People that did read gave it 5 stars.
Yeah, call me a skeptic, I just don't trust this stuff. I would rather spend more money on a good Finnex than less money on bad led strips/tape.

For that cheap I figured it's worth the gamble my main fixture is the finnex ray 2 which doesn't come with the moonlight

I love it I think it's a great light I'm just interested in a cheaper way to light a tank so I can draw more of my friends into the hobby. Even crappy lights are expensive.

Well I ordered a set for a friend so we'll see how it works out. It should be here tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the diy blues
Attached them to a piece of wood with some gorilla tape.

Attachments

• 1403827599221.jpg
    1403827599221.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 75
That is really nice. I run the blue LEDs on my Finnex along with the red and white because I read that plants use all three. Red, white, and blue. Sorta patriotic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, plants use the 660nm(red)spectrum. I forgot what the blue was? 550?

Mine were pearling without Co2. I have since added CO2... Now the plants pearl like an airstone.

For a tall tank I would most likely get a Ray2, but for a low tank a planted + rocks!

Here's some pics of the light I made for my buddies 30 gallon

Attachments

• 1403913747849.jpg
    1403913747849.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1403913761742.jpg
    1403913761742.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 1403913784312.jpg
    1403913784312.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 66
That moonlight setup looks superb, the strip lights look very bright too, I think it boils down to the quality of the led, the good ones have tiny reflectors built in so they get all that good light into the tank.. I'm not saying they wouldn't work, I'm just a sucker for field tested products and I know the finnex and current sat leds produce for short money... i did a diy CFL rid that works extremely well too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom