DIY co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I want to give DIY co2 a shot this is what I understood
1. Fill a 2 liter bottle with water an add 2 cups of sugar, then put some yeast
2. Connect tubing into it
3. Connect a Gatorade bottle with tubing from the solution bottle
4 put tubing into co2 diffuser( what's that?)
So is that correct?
Also, can I just stick the tubing into my internal filter?
Thanks!

Ok, so I want to give DIY co2 a shot this is what I understood
1. Fill a 2 liter bottle with water an add 2 cups of sugar, then put some yeast
2. Connect tubing into it
3. Connect a Gatorade bottle with tubing from the solution bottle
4 put tubing into co2 diffuser( what's that?)
So is that correct?
Also, can I just stick the tubing into my internal filter?
Thanks!

Pretty much it with a few more details.
1. Don't fill it all the way up. Increases the chances of yeast getting into the tubing and tank. 1/2 tsp yeast.
2. A 3/8" hole drilled into the bottle cap works great with silicone airline.
3. Two holes needed in the cap; this is the bubble counter and gas separator chamber.
4. A CO2 diffuser produces very fine bubbles and requires a great deal of pressure. I prefer to pipe it directly into the filter intake.
Here is a post with more info on the subject:
My DIY CO2 Setup http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298168

Pretty much it with a few more details.
1. Don't fill it all the way up. Increases the chances of yeast getting into the tubing and tank. 1/2 tsp yeast.
2. A 3/8" hole drilled into the bottle cap works great with silicone airline.
3. Two holes needed in the cap; this is the bubble counter and gas separator chamber.
4. A CO2 diffuser produces very fine bubbles and requires a great deal of pressure. I prefer to pipe it directly into the filter intake.
Here is a post with more info on the subject:
My DIY CO2 Setup http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298168

Ok thanks?
So I don't need an air pump or anything? What makes the co2, and how is it pushed into the tank? I'm curious
Also, do I just put it in the intake? My intake is at the bottom as it is a canister filter

Yup the bottle attached to the side is the bubble counter. Fill water up to a little past the pipe sticking into the bottle. This way the only thing going into your tank is co2. With no yeast, water, etc in it. It also tells you how fast your co2 is going into the tank. What you can do is get a powerhead that has the option of attaching airline tubing into the top. The powerhead would grind the co2 bubbles into smaller ones so that the co2 can disperse around the tank better. Also I would use genuine co2 tubing (aquatek sells them on amazon) so that you don't lose any co2 through the airline tubing. 25-50% of co2 is lost if you use silicone airline tubing because the tubing is not meant to hold co2 and allows co2 to leak out.

The picture only shows the setup. The tube running out the right (top) of the bubble counter needs to lead to the diffuser, powerhead, filter, or whatever you are going to use to disperse the co2.

Ok thanks?
So I don't need an air pump or anything? What makes the co2, and how is it pushed into the tank? I'm curious
Also, do I just put it in the intake? My intake is at the bottom as it is a canister filter

The water, sugar, and yeast make a chemical reaction and creates co2. There is eventually enough co2 in the bottle so that it starts getting pushed out and into wherever it goes into next.

Once the yeast+water+sugar solution is mixed, it may take several hours before you see bubbles in the bubble counter and in the tank. IME and from what I have read activating the yeast helps as opposed to just adding it to the solution (details the link I posted).
I found that drilled 3/8" holes and silicone airline tubing provide a leak free fit without the use of sealants, caulk, etc. Lack of bubbles in the counter and tank could mean a leak is present in the system. I like the use of quality one way valves to prevent back flow from the tank to the CO2 separator and generator. It also gives you a place to disconnect the tubing when it is time to refresh the solution (every 1-3 weeks depending on the bubble count).
I suppose you could inject it into a canister but I would be worried about gas buildup in the canister body. Never tried it with a canister so I don't know. I prefer use HOB filters or a powerhead.
You can use a regular air stone or no air stone when introducing it to the tank. Ceramic diffusers are a type of diffuser that produces mist like bubbles but requires more pressure than most DIY setups produce. And it seems like it takes forever for the gas to build up.
I tried a ceramic diffuser a couple of times but got impatient with it. Found okay results letting the powerhead or hob churn up the bubbles instead. Good luck with this. It's pretty simple and cheap.

A lot of people run two bottles and replace one every two weeks to help with consistent CO2. Either way though DIY CO2 is very difficult to keep consistent. I have thought about hooking up a airline controller to help regulate flow, but with increasing pressure building over time more air will be forced through your flow adjustment. It's like changing the high pressure on a CO2 regulator with out changing the needle valve.

Ok, so I think I got it
I got the leak problem solved, I'm going to silicone every single place where the gas could possibly leak out with silicone
Also, I'm going to give the canister a shot, I really don't want to spend extra money on a HOB filter, but if I have to, later, later, later on I will
Ok, so I only need one thing, how do I "connect" the tubing into the canister filter
Also can I have an explanation in how to do it with a HOB?
Thanks!

You could do that. However, if you are able to cut a hole (e.g . 3/8")which is smaller than the tubing then you should be fine. The key is getting the tubing through the hole. Cut the tubing at a sharp angle and push the tip through. Then use needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the tubing through. I have had zero leaks using this method.
You could simply place the end of the tubing (w/ or w/o air stone) under the intake of your canister or hob filter. The use of suction cups might help. I drilled a 1/4" hole at an angle directly into the intake just above the strainer and pushed the end of the tubing through there.
As the other poster mentioned, the co2 is not consistent. If you can keep it steady with consistent yeast mixtures and refresh them on a regular basis then you should be fine.

Ok, thanks! So I'll make an incision in the intake
I will be replacing a 2 liter bottle every 2 weeks, is that fine?

That sounds about right. Just keep an eye on your bubble count rate. When it starts to drop then you should mix a new batch.

Ok quick question
What if I went with a 1 liter bottle, and a half litter as the bubble counter
1. What would be the amounts to add now?
2. How often should I change it?
Thanks!

Ok quick question
What if I went with a 1 liter bottle, and a half litter as the bubble counter
1. What would be the amounts to add now?
2. How often should I change it?
Thanks!
1. 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp of yeast
2. Maybe 1-2 weeks, depending on the bubble output

Another poster mentioned CO2 loss from the use of silicone air tubing. That's probably happening in my current setup. That's why I prefer a low pressure system (e.g. - feeding it into a pump, etc). Higher pressure as with a ceramic diffuser would most likely increase the amount of CO2 loss through the tubing.

Yes. Co2 will leak out of the silicone tubing. A lot of it will leak out. Lower pressure may help a little but it will still escape. That's why there is tubing made for co2.

1. 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp of yeast
2. Maybe 1-2 weeks, depending on the bubble output

Another poster mentioned CO2 loss from the use of silicone air tubing. That's probably happening in my current setup. That's why I prefer a low pressure system (e.g. - feeding it into a pump, etc). Higher pressure as with a ceramic diffuser would most likely increase the amount of CO2 loss through the tubing.

Ingredients are all correct. That was the same recipe I used. Just don't forget the water :lol:

Ok, I'll silicone every corner of the tubing
But just in case, where is this co2 tubing and where can I find it, and what is the $

You can get it like everywhere. Amazon, eBay, GLA, etc
Don't remember the exact pricing but it was less than $10 on amazon (the company is aquatek)
Co2 can leak through the actual tube itself. Not just where the tubes connect to somethjng.

Back
Top Bottom