diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 12G JBJ nano cube

Everythings going to be set up on friday....Making the co2 canister seems fairly easy and straight foward...i was planning on making 2 one litre bottles...

First i wanna know... when i first get started do i make the mixture for both canisters? or just for one then after a week do the other one.. also how much WATER!?

Second....where do i put the output of the co2? Should i run it where the filter shoots out the water so it can be dispersed that way?

Third is this enough co2?

hey black i just read your post... but yeh i still need other peoples opinion... i mite just do 2 2 litres instead

You want approximately 2 Liters of CO2 generation for every 10 gallons of tank. So two 1 Liter bottles for a 12 gallon aquarium would be about right, as would three 2 Liter bottles for a 29 gallon aquarium. If you find that isn't quite enough, then I'd try to find 1.5 Liter bottles as a pair of 2 Liter bottles is probably overkill.

You can setup both CO2 bottles at the same time and then just change one out early, or stagger when you start them. Either way is perfectly valid. You'll want to fill the bottle 3/4 full or to the top of the label.

If you're looking for a simple diffusion method, you could feed the CO2 into the intake of the filter. This would allow the impeller to chop up the bubbles into fine bubbles and spray them about the tank. This can be noisy and will increase the wear on you impeller.

purrbox.. the 12G that i have is a bit different the intake is just flowing water.. like a sump almost... that mite not work... is it possible for me to leave it by where the powerhead is so it can suck the air in? but i think that would waste a lot of the co2

Perhaps it would help if you could be more specific about the type of filtration in your tank.

its the built in filteration system from the 12g jbj nano tanks... the water flows inwards into a compartment with sponges... then up to anohter compartment with carbon and cermaric rings... then finally it gets shot back into the tank by a powerhead... very simple... 3 stage filteration

Would it be possible to feed the CO2 into the powerhead's intake within the filtration area? If so this would be the best way to use your filter for CO2 diffusion. If not I think you'll be better off looking at a different way to diffuse CO2 into your aquarium.

I've not seen a JBJ Nano in action, but from your description there's a distinct possibility that it could work against your CO2 injection efforts. Is there any part of the filter that has a lot of water turbulence or it's just trickling over media? If so it will gas off a significant amount of CO2.

hmmm thanks for the input ppurrbox im gonna try to run the line into the power head ill keep you updated

By volume, 1 part sugar, 3 parts water works nicely w/ bread yeast.

I'm running 2x1gallon jugs for my 46g, 1x1L for my 5g minibow.

For multiples going to a single diffuser or reacter, I'd sync them up and change 'em together. If not running that way, it doesn't much matter.

Squawkbert it's best to alternate changing the mixes out. This way one mix will just be increasing output while another is starting to decline. End result is steadier CO2 levels.

Back
Top Bottom