Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DIY CO2 and canister filter...

I have 5 DIY containers running in my tank....2 hagen ladder type, which i don't mind having in the tank, and 3 others which are diffused through powerheads and a large bell type diffusor.

I would like to move the three non hagen types to diffuse into the canister filter.

My filter is an Eheim Ecco.

So I am thinking....I want to create some kind of inline reaction chamber, and connect it between two sections of hose. Would i want this in the input to the filter or the output to the tank? Any other suggestions? This is actually going to end up being the same way I will diffuse my pressurized CO2 when i get it, rather than diffusing directly into the tank. Is there a benefit to the CO2 going into the filter before the tank? Or Into the tank directly from the filter output?

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the ecco is anything like the classic, just T them together and run one line into the inlet basket. Let the impellor chop the bubbles.

squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Give this a shot. I plan on running this through my XP2 on my 75 gallon, as soon as the rest of my setup arrives. I believe it goes on the output to the tank, though I'm not 100%.

http://rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is similar to what i want to do. but should that go in the inlet to the canister or the outflow back to the tank?
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I originally thought they go on the outflow, but after looking at a couple more sites, I think it could go on the intake as well. General consensus I have read is that on the outflow you ensure no gunk gets into the reactor (which could cause a clog), but you may lose water flow as a result. Here's another site with the same basic idea:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nline-co2.html
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not familiar with CO2 injection, but you really shouldn't have an impeller touching air at all. It's best to have it completely submerged and not touching anything but water. It's the same with commercial water circulators.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As FMJnaX stated an inline reactor can go on the input or output of your filter. It really depends on what ends up working best with your particular filter and whether you would rather clean the reactor occationally or deal with less flow in the tank.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, co2, diy, diy co2, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com